X-devonthink-item link from Omnifocus not working

I just learned that DT can act as a file archive for Omnifocus projects, so I’m coming back. The attraction is the ‘Reminder’ script which creates a x-devonthink-item link from a DT3 doc in an Omnifocus project’s note field.

The script appears to work for me, but when I click on the link, the only thing that happens is my Mac makes a ‘ping’ sound. That tells me something is going wrong, but I don’t know how to troubleshoot.

I’ve tried opening up the x-devonthink-link using Popclip. Same result. I’ve copies the link to Apple Notes. Same result.

Can anyone share with me other things to do to troubleshoot this issue? It appears that I’m the only on experiencing it, so I know it must be User Error.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Did you copy the link to Safari and try to open there? I’m fairly certain that it should open in DT from there (possibly after some confirmation to and fro). In other apps… Well, that depend on if they can take handle this kind of protocol.

Welcome @hatchethead

What is the item link you’ve pasted?

Yeah, it was like the second thing I tried. I only got that ‘ping’ sound. BUT, before that ‘ping’ sound, a dialog box opened up to ask if I wanted to allow the link to open in DEVONthink. That’s something I didn’t appreciate until I tried it again, now.

a dialog box opened up to ask if I wanted to allow the link to open in DEVONthink

And you responded how?

Here’s the link:

x-devonthink-item://714F27F4-8C4D-4A17-8CF7-F5C161FD428E

I said OK. But I just tried it again, and I’m moving too fast here (because I’m excited to get help). The dialog box asked if I wanted to open up the link in “DEVONthink Office Pro” (which is a DT2 product). Yesterday, I upgraded to DEVONthink 3.0. Guess I should delete the old app and try this all again.

Guess I should delete the old app and try this all again.

Absolutely… To avoid such confusion, even for the operating system, you should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Problem solved. Thanks so much for acting as the troubleshooting catalyst. Hopefully others will benefit from my mistake.

1 Like

You’re welcome and no worries at all. You’re surely not the first to run into such a problem. And I’m glad you’ve move up to DEVONthink 3.x. I think you’ll be happy you did :slight_smile: