zip or dmg ?

I’m using regularly the backup script provided with DTPro (check, optimize, zip, etc…). Usually, the ziped file is created on my desktop, I copy the file to my external hard drive, and delete the one on the desktop, everything works fine. A week ago, I’ve been trying to set the ziped file to be created directly on my external HD (to avoid to copy, delete, etc…), and it happened that my database got damaged (especially HTML files). I know that it is not recommended to copy the DB on external device, while DTPro is running. So I suppose that the mistake was to try to create the zip file directly on the external HD. Can anyone tell me if I understand correctly?

I have another question about compression, is it safer to create a zip archive or a dmg, or are these two methods equally reliable ? (I’m asking because my DB contains mostly links to external files pdf, photos, etc…, so creating a dmg puts everything in one file.)

thanks,

Alb

Copying the database while DT is running is never recommended (no matter if you’re copying to the same or different drives).

The only major difference is probably that zip is not Mac-specific.

[quote=“cgrunenberg”]
Copying the database while DT is running is never recommended (no matter if you’re copying to the same or different drives).

Thanks, Christian, I will do my backups first to desktop,and copy to external HD.

The script “prepare backup” makes a backup of the Database while DTPro is running (or do I use it in the wrong way?). So, it seems to me that “backup” and “copy” are two different things. (this is just curiosity, don’t feel obliged to answer, if you don’t have time. You gave me the information I needed)

Alb

Yes, copying and using this script are different tasks.