3 Pane view in DT3

I’m using it always. Not having it in DT3 will let me stay with DT2.
Please, please integrate it into DT3 !!!

5 Likes

Don’t mean to be offending and my apology if I did.
I find it puzzling if anyone would decide not upgrading to DT 3 merely for one UI, considering all the other significant UI and non-UI enhancements in 3.0.
I think carrot is more effective than the stick. The more users are upgrading, the more likely DT is to consider adding optional features in the future.

1 Like

For me it is not just one UI, but the way I’m working everyday with DT2 and its way to present the data on my wide screen is the most effective way to work. I do not understand why the way of presenting the data is now different in the new version. The sidebar for navigation to me is not consistent and helpful.
My opinion…

1 Like

That’s a fair point. But for some people, the 3-pane view is a key part of their workflow. To adapt to DT3 they will have to make some major changes to the way they work. That is very disruptive and means a cost - in time and errors and general loss of productivity.

So there may be good reasons for the DT team to make the change, but it does have a very big impact on some people.

7 Likes

I have never liked or used 3-pane view, but I’ve been following this conversation with interest.

I was wondering if a fan of 3-pane view could post a screenshot of their DT2 interface, showing what they can do with 3-pane that they feel cannot be done in DT3?

1 Like

What’s currently not possible is to select multiple groups in the sidebar or to view only documents in List view. But such options are planned.

6 Likes

@cgrunenberg thanks for confirming the planned implementation!

great news! any hope for keyboard focus in the sidebar?:crossed_fingers:

There’s always hope but one step after another :slight_smile: Bugs & glitches have absolutely the highest priority right now.

1 Like

Here comes my screenshot. Optimal view for me, optimal navigation. Not possible in DT3.

6 Likes

How would that layout work on a 13" laptop such as MacBook Air?

It will not. I’m having 2 34" screens. Can’t live without it.

@cgrunenberg, any hope for the option to add additional metadata columns and have multiple documents opened in tabs as well in DTP3? (I use basically the same layout as the screenshot by @FraThi above but with different metadata columns.)

It would work with my 43" 4k TV that I use for monitor as well, but not practical as most of us spend a large time with laptops only.

1 Like

I cannot understand why a feature (3 pane view) has been abolished. Having optional views is fine.

2 Likes

I’m confused, what am I missing from your view (aside from the two relatively minor aspects that @cgrunenberg has already said are coming) in this configuration? In fact, unless I’m mistaken, I have MORE power in this space because I’m able to show the Inspector as a side panel and I don’t waste space on what was really just a database selector.

If the objection is “well you don’t have metadata columns in the file list view,” I was going to agree and say that IS a substantial difference. But…

You need only turn on the columns you want! (Truthfully I didn’t know this was possible until just now and I’m quite pleased).

2 Likes

Hi @apoc527, thanks for chiming in. Regarding the two features that are planned to be reimplemented (multiple folder selection in the navigator, and the ability to display only the documents of the selected groups) are actually very significant for my workflow.

However, you totally resolved my last comment regarding the metadata. Thanks! That prompted a little further digging to see if I was missing the tabs feature, and indeed, I overlooked the setting in the preferences.

Thanks again for pointing out the metadata display!

1 Like

What size screen are you working off there?

And could you kindly confirm where to switch on the columns view as you have it now? I’m missing that atm – mine only lists the filenames.

[EDIT]: Found it. Was looking in /Preferences – as opposed to View/Columns!

Will play around with this – but it would appear that you have a bit more screen real estate than my 24" at 1920x1080.

1 Like

The column which shows separately all documents of a group. This is the most important collection for me.