3 Pane view in DT3

or alt-cmd-n alt-cmd-f to search in a new window. It’s taken a while until my memory muscles got used to that, but it works fine now.

Yep - and I use this all the time, every day :slight_smile:

1 Like

This thread is getting to complicated. Of course everyone can work and there are scripts, shortcuts, options or workflows to work around everything.
Especially hardcore users might not have problems as they spend a lot of time in this software and the configuration and know about every shortcut.

But what abut beginners or casual users if even some hardcore users complain ?

As a newbe looking for better organization possibility you don’t realize the need why to use DevonThink.

• The first impression with DT3 is as if it had the same possibilities of organization as the finder but without tabs

• But in DT2 you clearly see extended functionality from the first impression. 3 pane makes me very quick getting interested into the software and for getting deeper into into. It was an eye-catcher, a candy or one kind of organization opportunity I was looking for as finder was bad.
    It was a unique feature and I actually expected it to be extended in future releases rather than removing it.

I think a lot of us started this way or might still use DT on a similar level until today? … at least I can clearly say that I would less have taken notice of DT without the 3pane view.
It just felt easy and right without the need to go deeper into document management at this time. It gave me easy extended possibilities for (re-) organizing my documents… I could have done this using finder too as well as I can do everything in DT2 as well as in DT3.

So it’s not about features… It’s about a good feeling, an ease of use and a tool matching you’r way to of working.

I really wish that DT will not forget about this and that it’s not measurable that they might loose potential (new) users just because of this little thing.

1 Like

That’s indeed a database design different from mine with its many nested folders and multi-level folder hierarchies; and probably different from what other longterm users of DT have. For the latter use-case, the left-pane (new sidebar or left side of old 3pv) has always been crowded and required many orientation brain cpu cycles. For those, the ability of focus on any folder level and to somehow ‘glue’ a bunch of folders splattered over one or more databases would be helpful. For you, with this rather flat database design, focus on database is and has already been sufficient.

I don’t have a flat Database Design. It was an example when you crosswork on multiple folders / databases maybe even with the need to create new folders during work. I don’t think that this is a matter of being a long term user or not (just think about a monthly register structure).
The vertical list will get big on flat structures as well as on huge nested structures that need to be expanded.

Furtheron it’s a waste of screen space if a folder does not contain at least (around) 60 files if you want to use widescreen view.
You need to have a balance of both and with the option of 3pane view I was flexible without the need to reorganize the structure itself. On a macbook you should use the space in a different way as on an 27’ iMac. I use both of them and want my folder structure to fit the content and not the possibilities of a view. That’s why the flexibility of the views is so important.

I have to add my vote for the 3PV. It was the most efficient use of screen space that let me see full document names while also showing a compact folder tree that kept large portions of the tree on-screen at once.

I’ve largely replaced it with the sidebar now that it shows database contents. I just have to ignore the other open databases now rather than them being hidden until needed. But using the sidebar as the folder view, selecting the standard layout and the ‘Show documents only’ from the View menu has somewhat given me back the 3PV. It’s not as good as it was since more screen space is wasted, but it functions.

The missing 3PV and the missing document URL being displayed in the document header are the main misfires for me.

3 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::+1::+1::+1:. See Feature request DEVONthink Pro 3: 3 pane view & tabbed windows

A screenshot of the window plus of the document’s Info inspector would be useful, thanks.

Just wanting to check (and I’ve lost track of the various workarounds in this thread) – is there any way in 3 for a group to retain the document it was displaying when last selected? That is, in my view, a real must. Seeing “No Selection” is an absolute productivity killer.

If I remember correctly, I don’t think this feature ever exist or have ever suggested in any version of DT?
Anyway, if u are asking for a “workaround” to remind urself on which item/s are last selected or are important in each group: the easy way is to remind urself to mark the item/s by using any one of the following methods: by flag, by label, by rating, or by creating a custom metadata field with data type Boolean.

Or, if you just want to find the items you have reviewed (opened) or changed (modified or created) today (or within a certain period), create a smart group at the root of each database like this (the example use “today”, but other range can be used, too). This is another handy way to recall the work without needing to remember which group/item has been touched,

You can then jump back to the relevant group by “Reveal” in the contextual menu for the items that are listed in the smart group:

2 Likes

Thanx for that idea I will use that too.

But all that workarounds take so much away from the cleanliness and easiness of the new gui.
If DT think its getting quiet around this topic that might be because of a horrible workload of workarounds that you getting used to.

Hmmm. I might be misremembering it. Something was happening in 2 that was different when I switched between db’s, just can’t remember exactly what.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

I was re-reading this thread and had an idea of a feature that would solve a some of the issues I have with the missing 3PV. I have no idea if this would make for good UI, so I’m just throwing it out there.

Currently, when I click on the disclose triangle next to a database, it opens to reveal all of the top-level folders in that Db. This view of folders pushes down everything below it, and it involves a lot of scrolling to go to another database or folder (or clicking the disclosure triangle again to close the Db, but I don’t want do that - it’s not how I work).

The idea was to have a section above the “Open Databases” section in the sidebar that listed all the databases; call it a “Jump To Database” section. This section would have to always be visible to be effective. When one of the databases here was clicked, it would reposition the sidebar to that database.

This, in conjunction with having each database remember what document you were on would solve a big pain point of the missing 3PV for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! There are already several ideas how to improve the user interface, this could be another one. As soon as there will be less bugs to fix, we’ll have to figure out what will be the best solution.

1 Like

Adding all open databases to the Go menu would be another way to do this.

FYI, to do something similar, I have created a workspace for each of my databases, so they are always in the Go menu. I also created a key command for them (using System Preferences > Keyboards > Shortcuts) so I can select a database by function key.

Items that would lessen the pain of the loss of 3PV

1. Allow us to customize the sidebar by placing the various section in any order we choose. I don’t want to see the inboxes or trash or favorites at the top but others might prefer it. We should be able to customize the sidebar just like we can customize the toolbar.
  2. Remember the exact location within each database so going to it displays the full level you were at before. Do not reset each time you move in and out of databases (This should be the default and also what happens if you click on the particular database in the favorites section.)
  3. Keyboard shortcuts we can define to move into and out of each individual database so it’s faster to flip around. Should go to the previously saved last view, i.e. automatic scrolling if necessary to display where we are now.
  4. allow multiple tabs each with a specific database open to a specific place visible in a small top bar below the toolbar in the same way tabs in Safari are below the favorites bar. Can be shown or hidden as a preference

Those would at least allow some of the previously simple ways I used DTPO in 3PV to work. It would be slower and more hassle but a lot more doable compared to the mess it is now. The current system requires that I start and stop DT3, going back and forth between DTPO 2 and DT3 to get work done.

1 Like

This will be already possible in version 3.0.1.

Keyboard navigation is planned too and scheduled for a later release (hopefully 3.0.2).

1 Like

Had a chance to go through this thread… Frankly, don’t understand all the pathos and volume for 3PV topic, I’m sorry, not to abuse anyone.
Seems to me that if devs make a multiple choice and quick switch (maybe on the toolbar) to show groups or not in the view pane (and maybe even show or not docs from subfolders) - it’ll solve 99% of all the worries ) as short as that.

For use cases and workflows, I understand that all they are very different, but why the heck to buy DT as a mere substitute for Finder… It’s like buying a Boeing 737 to cross the next street and argue that you will quit using it, just because the new windows are too small…

And my 6 cents about enhancing a sidebar in one post (apart from above):

1. Horizontal scroll;
  2. Option to retain forever the current “expanded/collapsed groups state” of any group (whether it is in Open Databases, Favourites or Globals section) with the selection of items;
  3. Feature to expand/collapse the groups in Favourites section. It’ll also reduce the size of this section.
  4. Use Aliases of the group (e.g. in context menu) for quick renaming of top level Favourites without renaming a corresponding group. Just for more comfortable, telling and shorter names in Favourites section (these aliases are also used for tagging - replicating to this group).
  5. Collapsible Structural dividers for Smart Groups and Smart Rules with custom names, like (which I earlier suggested for Custom Metadata):
    ►----------- History -----------
    ►-------- Supervising --------
    ►--------- Research ---------
  6. Smart Groups/Rules inside Smart Groups/Rules. Which is sequential narrowing of search criteria (and/or applicable actions in case of rules), like (just for meaningful example):
    Essays > (Accepted > (A; B; C); In process > (…); Not submitted > (…)); …
    It will shorten and organize Smart Groups/Rules section, and allow building alternative hierarchies automatically and without replicating, make a flexible choice in rules application.
1 Like

Frankly, don’t understand all the pathos and volume for 3PV topic, I’m sorry, not to abuse anyone.<<
It’s comments like these that are just so infuriating. “I don’t mean to insult anybody, but" [proceed to insult]

“Pathos”? No, a set of well-thought out objections by the people who bought a product is perfectly standard, whether DT3 or a Boeing.

For use cases and workflows, I understand that all they are very different <<
Precisely why people chimed in with objections/suggestions. As they are entitled to after purchasing a product.

but why the heck to buy DT as a mere substitute for Finder<<
Sigh, no one has been suggesting…oh, never mind.

@padilla12, just read yourself for example. Half-a-hundred words of “pathos” and nothing (!), I mean, not a word, about “well-thought” suggestions… Not only in my post.

Were here good thoughts and suggestions? - yes, no doubt. Need they more than 180 lengthy posts if all the rationale for that takes one paragraph? Well, what do we call the rest, outside the rationale?
I don’t mean to insult you or anyone, I’m sorry, I understand that we all humans, just facts… :wink:

I’ve been using DT for more than a decade, and am even quoted on the DEVONtechnologies website as a public professional user and advocate. After a few weeks with DT3 I find much to like – thank you to the team for all the hard and impressive work that went into this.

But for the detailed reasons that have been eloquently described by others above, the disappearance of 3-pane-view has made me miserable. So far there is no replacement, no substitute, that would make it as easy to quickly navigate and view as that was, for the deeply involved way that I use DT constantly throughout my day, with multiple databases. It’s now simply more annoyance, more clicks, more work, more time to get around and do what I need to do.

11 Likes