3 Pane view in DT3

The problem (known one) with folder based organization is that you end up with a fixed hierarchy with no flexibility. Should I place this document in the folder of the author? Or the topic? Or the genre? Or creation year?.. Or…

With labels/tags in combination with saved searches you could build any kind of organizational hierarchies. This is one reason many laptop users just make labels, or even just use search, and dump all their files into Documents.

1 Like

… and sometimes that’s fine and desired. Now that those who want it and already have it established can’t use it with the same ease as before. We have had functionality diminished, not enhanced.

I agree, if someone wants a fixed non-flexible hierarchy, that’s fine.

I’m waiting patiently for 3 Pane view (or something comparable), so this isn’t about 3 Pane view specifically. However, just to contribute, I wanted to address the statement.

The problem (known one) with folder based organization is that you end up with a fixed hierarchy with no flexibility.

I think the DT team has implemented a great solution to this situation: replicants. Replicants provide flexibility with the use of folder structure. Additionally, one of the reasons I continue to use folder structures in DT and not tags exclusively (though I have experienced with it), is harnessing the benefits of DT’s AI which considers groups (locations) for its analysis. From the DT3 Help,

Based on analyzing the contents of the current document, the AI cross-references the contents and locations of other files in the database. The results are shown in the Groups section. This list offers a range of suggested locations, displaying a heat-mapped score of its relevance and the location of the group.

@BLUEFROG has also commented on utilizing DT’s AI for classification.

The AI has to be trained. It doesn’t magically know what to do. Like a new assistant, it learns where things are commonly stored and can later make better choices.

So from the DT Help and Jim’s comment we can see that if you utilize the AI for classification, groups contribute in the training of DT’s AI, and with the power of replicants, we also have flexibility while utilizing a folder structure.

5 Likes

A fixed hierarchy is very important for me, certainly, and I have missed the 3-pane view greatly. I have Asperger’s and a poor working memory and I find predictability very helpful. I love the templates in DevonThink and use templates to set up an identical folder structure for every course that I teach and use another fixed folder structure for every student. For me personally this predictable structure is extremely important for finding my way around my data and for avoiding a kind of ‘empty mind’ panic that can develop if I can’t find things. My templates include coloured icons for each folder that reinforce the structure visually, which is important because it plays to my cognitive strengths.

I am so pleased that people are still calling for the return of the 3-pane functionality and apologise that I have not yet contributed to the discussion. I think that one thing that would help a little would be the ability to focus the folder structure in the sidebar (i.e. to hide all the folders/groups except the one I am interested in and its descendants).

10 Likes

I agree to you too. As mentioned before I would love to have only tags but the implementation is not made for this. So something has to happen in whichever direction. Fact is, that labels and tags are not implemented as the main structuring elements so I don’t see the point why folders are being discussed. This all are workarounds and best practices - for some of us it may work - for many it does’t.
But I see that DT will never react to this. I am out and disappointed … So I have to overthink everything for myself just because I don’t know if I can rely on DT stagey in future.

Hi Claire, you are a good example that there might be many users who complain about the new handling but not being active here.
Besides the fact that this thread has one of the largest interests I believe that the number of unreported cases of dissatisfied users is far greater. Even if it’s okay for many people in until today, the new concept will sooner or later lead everyone to the limit. It is simply not sustainable and not as flexible as before.

Again: I don’t need 3pane - there might be other concepts. Just lets talk about it - I just don’t want to discuss my folder organization. Tools should help and technology could easily do this today.

2 Likes

“PS: I programmed punch cards with a PDP-8 hehehe.” :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

And IMO extremely arrogant to state it’s “user error” when programs are designed and meant to assist users. It’s not like I was using DT in an unorthodox way or using some trick that was never identified as a valid use case. That in an of itself means it’s not user error it’s a programming error. You never take away functionality that was in a previous version.

As to the too much data being stored, that is a personal perception. Since I personally use and review and access data I stored first on a computer over 30 years ago (and have had to migrate to new operating systems and computers over time) I feel that vast archives, properly curated are invaluable. Just because your life doesn’t need to store lots of historical info doesn’t mean that is true for other people.

4 Likes

I have tried with no success to replicate the functionality of 3PV. If you’r such a computer guru that you can in fact solve the myriad of problems all of us have shown here then you SHOULD make an effort to explain it. Copping out of the discussion isn’t helping anyone.

Just wrote on replicants and saw it better addressed as I read down the thread so I deleted it, but it brings more thoughts to mind beyond replicants being tag equivalents for hierarchical organization systems.

What I am not getting out of this discussion from the DT crew or elsewhere in their communications is a clear picture of the vision for DT3 or where DT in general is going. I am not saying there hasn’t been a white paper or something that I missed along the line, but big changes and no context make it hard to wrap my head around where DT is going and how it fits in my own tool box. Maybe there is something to all this that would make it compelling to me to upend how I manage the 300 GB of information I keep in various DT databases, but it needs to be communicated to us.

Maybe I missed something but so far I’ve had no need for 3 pane views in DT3…

2 Likes

I bet you are using features in DT that I am not using and I would not point this out if you some day miss it.
Unfortunately, such comments only distract from the purposeful thoughts of people who deal with the topic. This is not a poll.

3 Likes

That guy is seeing from the perspective of document retrieval, he is clueless; as many others are. We keep forgetting DEVONthink is also an information manager. When your thinking is so narrow that you’re unaware of the ignorance of your own ignorance. Not sure why I keep trying to explain…Document management will be be thy narrative still :))). 3PV IS IRREPLACEABLE. If you think otherwise you’re either not dealing with knowledge management (hence Only document retrieval) or you have no idea what you are doing. Check my arguments in the beginning; they are as objective as any could be. Stop this nonsense! Most likely 3PV will be technically hard to implement given the new attribute property feature. That is my hunch.

2 Likes

Sorry but for me the irreplaceable 3 pane view case is not present. DT3 works just fine without it. I’m sure you have other needs, but this is not a global issue. Water under the bridge.

#1 A admire your attitude. Being able to take one in and still keep your cool…admirable.

#2 All of your opinions point to a document retrieval theory. Nowhere, implicitly or explicitly, did I get the sense of you doing otherwise. I am not downplaying a mere opinion. You’re points are instructive with a know it all connotation. Again, you might be fooling yourself.

#3 This is a tech forum. Inflated pompous language is bad etiquette.

As I said Stan, I am done with this empty pointless and retrogressive discussion.

I agree with you. 3PV is far more important for information or knowledge management.

2 Likes

With all that said, on the document retrieval side, you have some very solid points. Surprisingly, I’ve enjoyed your inputs. Hopefully that does right to the ego. Speaking Of which…just bought some eggo…the chocolate chip ones.

I just added a new thread since I couldn’t find this due to English being my second language, didn’t think of the word “pane”, and there I have added a screen dump. For my way of structure, it is essential with 3 panes.

I am not allowed to add links here(?), but the title is “Getting the databases in a sidebar of their own” added 2020-03-15 by HuConn.