31000 missing files

Database verification shows 31000 missing files. We’ve tried to

• Repair (nothing happened, errors were left in place)
  • Recreate database (“Datenbank neuaufbauen”)
  • Verify and repair database (“Datenbank überprüfen & neuaufbauen”)

Nothing helps, the issue remains. We do think the data is gone of those files, as we accidentally moved the whole database into the bin which probably didn’t have enough storage. Nonetheless, at least, we’d like to get rid of those skeletons.

Thanks in advance,

M

Oh dear. (Odd that the number is so precise as “31000”.)

Yes, I can imagine that lack of disk space is going to lead to issues…

Are the files indexed or imported? If indexed, are those files still in the macOS file system?

Do you have a backup from which you can restore? TimeMachine? DEVONthink Database Archive?

So as to not repeat DEVONthink’s advice, see “REPAIRING A DEFECTIVE DATABASE”, page 192 of 3.9.6 version of the DEVONManual, or in Help for a starting point.

Actually, the way to repair it was just to move everything to a new database; the missing files were not copied. Well, we lost some data there, but :person_shrugging:

Were the missing files indexed or imported ?

I don’t know the exact thing that happened, but probably the dt database was shared via a cloud service (seafile), and from there deleted from a mobile phone; hence they first ended up in seafile’s trash, and devonthink was clever enough to dynamically understand they are now somewhere else. But then probably seafile’s trash had an expiry set, so they disappeared. User error…

As mentioned many times, you should never put a DEVONthink database in any cloud-synced location or you could irreparably damage it.

If you used DEVONthink’s File > Export > Database Archive, the resulting ZIP file could be safely transferred via a cloud service.

Makes sense; OTOH we also use Seafile as webdav storage for synching with DTTG.

For smaller amounts - like a database with 50k mails in it - the direct sync DT ↔ DTTG that I just did for a new DTTG customer is very good and fast. Another database where I’ve several hundred thousand mails in is still synchronizing after a month or so.

Maybe I should go home and rethink my life (as in Star Wars).

It is often spoken of and documented, sync is not copying your database into a sync location, including via WebDAV.

For smaller amounts - like a database with 50k mails in it - the direct sync DT ↔ DTTG that I just did for a new DTTG customer is very good and fast.

Assuming you are referring to a Bonjour sync, we indeed advocate a local sync over a remote one unless the situation requires it.

Another database where I’ve several hundred thousand mails in is still synchronizing after a month or so.

Are you talking about the same customer?
As is mentioned in our FAQ and on these forums, if you have a sync issue, the first things to look at are…

• What is reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?
  • Is there a triangle on the sync icon in DEVONthink To Go’s bottom toolbar? If so, tap it. What is reported?

Maybe I should go home and rethink my life (as in Star Wars).

“The unexamined life is not worth living”. ~ Socrates :wink:

2 Likes