A question about tagging

I’m new to DEVONthink, still finding my way around.

I’m tagging notes in DT and that’s working fine. I also use tags in Mac OS but I’ve noticed a lot of DEVONthink tags being added to my list of Mac OS tags.

On my Mac, I only use four tags to identify documents that I need to act upon. Having a lot of extra tags isn’t necessary and could become confusing.

I haven’t been able to work out how my DEVONthink tags are appearing as Mac OS Finder tags. I’d like to understand the relationship so that I can manage the tags more effectively. If anyone can explainhow they’re linked, I’d be grateful. Thanks.

Tags are automatically applied to indexed files.
Also, if you are using the Spotlight option in File > Database Properties, the tags are exported as part of the metadata.

You can inhibit the import and export of Finder tags by clicking the On link in Help > Appendix > Hidden Preferences > DisableFinderTags

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

I can see how syncing tags between the Finder and DT might be really useful so I’ll look at that some more. Cheers!

You’re welcome.

Another thing to bear in mind: If you’re using RSS feeds, it may be wise to disable Preferences > RSS > Convert categories and hashtags to tags

Ah, yes, thank you. That would be a quick way to upset my carefully managed tag list.

No problem.

That would be a quick way to upset my carefully managed tag list.

Oh yes, indeed!