A simple way to share stuff with others

Hey all. I’ve been a dt user for a couple years now and am still largely a novice, mostly been using it as a way to organize my PDF files. I’ve just created a series of URLs with tags, and I’m thinking about wanting to create a way to share a bundle of research i’ve been doing on a topic with others. Any suggestions for the simplest way to do this? I use both the mobile and desktop app.
thanks a lot for your help!

I’ve just created a series of URLs with tags,

Please clarify this.

To share with others, I use a Google Drive folder sync’d to my Mac
The folder is indexed for access within Devonthink

3 Likes

Saved bookmarks in my global inbox with tags for organization purposes. I’d like to break out something that’s tagged into a series of material that I could quickly share with others. Does this make sense?
thank you.

thank you. I do use the G-drive app for the mac - could you provide me a reference example of how you have this set up?

Google will provide instructions for how to “share” files with other people. Involves putting those files in folder then setting the rules for sharing. See their documentation.

Put the files you want to share into that folder structure on the Google Drive.

In DEVONthink, Index that folder structure into a DEVONthink database if you need the files visible in DEVONthink. You may or may not need that.

True but I don’t know if Google Drive preserves Mac-specific metadata. OneDrive strips tags and from a quick search Google Drive appears to as well. I saw an anecdotal post about disabling streaming allowing tags to work but as we don’t use Google Drive, I can’t confirm that at this point.

Best for @jadecricket to test fully.

I index a few Google Drives that I share with my family. Not noticed any issues, but did not dig into looking for problems. Maybe problems lurking. Dunno.

My preference would be to use Dropbox, but my family resists using Dropbox, sadly. Irrational.

To be honest, once the files are put into Google Drive for sharing, there is really no reason to index them into DEVONthink anymore. So I tend not to. So my best advice that unless there is a compelling reason to Index into DEVONthink files on Google/Dropbox/Cloud/etc. then don’t.