A way to share imported files via Dropbox?

I’ve been using indexed files in Dropbox. My use case is that I save research papers into folders having the author’s name, but I also have some video and audio files. Having the files accessible externally to DT tends to be important for two things:

1. Convenience when adding (downloading) the files, so they can be placed directly where they belong. Can this be done if all my files are imported? I don’t know of a way.
  2. Some of my files are shared (via Dropbox) with other people, and this needs to continue to work.

Is there not some way to meet these two criteria if all my files are imported? I’ve been playing with DTTG and I really like how well it works when files are imported. Sadly, on desktop, imported files seems to create hassles.

Not my experience, but I perhaps am doing different things. What are you “hassles”?

Could you unpack this requirement a bit? Does “placed directly” mean you want a smart rule to put files in the right group, or create a group, when a new file comes along?

FWIW, indexed files can be replicated to other locations in the same database. So you might explore that option, which also preserves your second rule.

1 Like

I don’t understand. I’m wanting to change my indexed files to imported files.

If my files are imported, to add new files which are downloaded from the internet, I have multiple steps. First download to a folder somewhere, then import. With indexed files, I just save the file to the correct folder which is already being indexed.

I can’t do items 1 or 2 if all my DT files are imported rather than indexed.

I’ve decided to move all my indexed files into my database, entirely because DTTG is so incredibly cool.

I have all my indexed media (video/audio) files organized in a common folder, I want to import these as well, but they will be too large. If I make a copy of the entire structure and then downscale all of them, is there any tool I can use to update all existing links to point to the new file copies?