About the problem with DT3 tag deletion

You can see that to remove a specific tag from a tagged file, you can delete the displayed file from the “Tags” category in the sidebar.

The problem is that you can’t tell if a file moved to the trash is a file saved in the database or a file created like a tag.

Is there a way to identify this? There is a risk of deleting the original file by some carelessness.

You can see that to remove a specific tag from a tagged file, you can delete the displayed file from the “Tags” category in the sidebar.

Yes, you could but that’s not the only way to do it, nor is it necessarily the common way.

And no, there’s no “risk of deleting the original” here.
As noted in the Help > Documentation > Getting Started > Tagging

Is there any other way to delete the same tag added to multiple files at once?

You can see that the original file remains, but you feel uneasy at the stage of completely deleting the trash. Is there no way to indicate that a file in the trash is a replicant?

Is there any other way to delete the same tag added to multiple files at once?

You can delete the Tag from the Tags group if you’re removing it entirely.

You can see that the original file remains, but you feel uneasy at the stage of completely deleting the trash. Is there no way to indicate that a file in the trash is a replicant?

No. Just trust the documentation as written.
If you’re deleting from a Tag group, it’s a replicant.
If you’re deleting a Tag, its contents in the Trash will only be replicants.

There are 10 files with the same tag. If you want to remove tags from the five files, you must touch the replicant file directly. I feel uneasy there. What I don’t trust is not how the app works, but how I make my own judgment. If a replicant file has a color or mark, it is easy to understand.

Thank you.

If you want to remove tags from the five files, you must touch the replicant file directly.

Are you referring to the replicant in the Tag group?
If so, you are not touching the original file. Tag groups only have the replicant for that tag. You cannot have a non-replicant file in a Tags group.

Even if you intend to delete it from the tag group, you can’t tell if the file in the trash can be the original or replicant. I am worried about that. Over time, there is a suspicion that you may have made a mistake when you permanently delete a file in the trash. It may sound like a strange thing, but we want to eliminate as much of the anxiety of file management as possible.

Again… if you are deleting from the Tag group, you are deleting a replicant, not the file in the database.

Also, when you empty a database’s Trash, it goes to the system Trash.

Apparently, what I wanted to say is not communicated. But I don’t intend to bother you any more about this issue. You do not need to reply to this comment.

Development can assess the feasibility of this.

Very late to the discussion, but today I came across the same issue, and I agree with the posters.

Suggestion: Do not show replicants deleted with the tags in the trash, do only show them as long as tags are “live”.

Reason: These files are not displayed as replicants, and the info panel shows no replicants. It is troubling. And it does not help to be redirected to the manual or to be assured that only replicants are deleted.

An alternative would be to show them as replicants like all other replicants (I think it was like that in the beginning – a hell in red), but I think users are not interested in the instance.

(I believe it now and delete the tags, but it is undoubtedly one of those parts of the UI in Devonthink that make it difficult to think and to use.)