Absolute beginner

Great place to be.

I have Devon think pro. I’m an absolute beginner. Where would be a good place to find out how to use and set up etc.

Shame it’s just sat on my hard drive.

First, wander over to DEVONtechnologies’ website and grab then read “Take Control of DEVONthink” which is a free-of-cost (paid for by DEVONtechnologies) e-book. While there get a copy of the outstanding “DEVONthink Handbook” to skim and get familiar with what is there for when as you learn and experiment you have a question. Probably answered there.

Put both of these documents in your DEVONthink database.

Also look at the “Tips & Tricks” behind the “…” icon on the (I forget what it’s called) banner bar on left of side of the DEVONthink screen. Lots of good snippets of guidance there.

4 Likes

The “Take Control of DEVONthink” book is a great place to start. I’d also suggest going through the UI and closing or removing panels or other UI elements. DT has a lot of functionality, and can be overwhelming at first.

I try to keep mine paired down to only what I need in the app. I remove almost all the buttons from the toolbar, and close any status bars or inspectors. I find this approach lets me focus more on what I want the app to do for me, rather than be flooded with everything it can do all at once.

If you learn by watching, you might find this useful: DEVONthink Field Guide | MacSparky Field Guides

+1. MacSparky’s very detailed DT3 Field Guide is excellent - as are Joe Kissel’s Take Control Book and the DT User Manual. Another visual training source can be found at ScreenCastsOnline.com. SCO has a series of 3 (roughly) hour long videos that I found helpful