Adding emails to DTPO

Morning.

Is there a way in Mail.app (Mavericks) to add emails to DTPO in the same way like adding websites from Firefox to DTPO, that is to say, a HUD should appear to chose the exact project where the email should be saved in DTPO and, additionally to chose whether it should be saved as an email or as an PDF file with all attachments separately, or with attachments as additional pages of the same PDF file.

The given way to enter Ctrl+Alt+Cmd+M adds the email to the general inbox of DTPO. That’s less useful, at least for me.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Kind regards, Friedrich

The part of your requirement that’s available now is the Groups & Tags HUD-like panel. You can open it from the DEVONthink Dock Icon (Show Groups & Tags) – or the same action in the Tools menu in DEVONthink. This panel remains on top of all windows in every application and space. You can browse all of you group hierarchy and drag documents, text selections, or mail message from Mail into a group using that panel.

The rest of the features you’re looking for are not available today. But, you might also try the Take Note panel – also available in the Dock menu or from Tools. Take note is not just for jotting notes – you can drag email messages into an RTF note in Take Note, or text clippings, or attachments or files.

If DEVONthink’s Preferences > Import are set to Destination: Select group, you will be presented with a HUD that allows choice of any group within any open database when a new item is added, e.g., a new email document resulting from choice of Message > Add to DEVONthink… for a selected message in Mail.

I’m not a developer, but my appreciation of DEVONtechnologies philosophy is that generally captures to databases should not change the native filetypes of captured items, when that’s possible. The Mail plugin of DEVONthink Pro Office provides options under Mail’s menubar to capture messages in their native filetype. I think there are advantages to that approach, as the messages can be opened under Mail for response or forwarding.

Currently, such capture of Mail messages doesn’t index the text content of attachments in messages. But Christian has noted in this forum that this is planned for the future.

Until recently, the default view of email messages has been Quick Look, which didn’t display images and attachments. They can be seen and accessed if the Text Alternative button is pressed. The current version of DEVONthink Pro Office provides a user choice in Preferences > Email to display messages in that Text Alternative view.

Other tools and options may also be available in DEVONthink. For example, I’ve got a tool that captures both the original email message and its attachments.

DEVONthink Pro Office and DEVONthink Pro are scriptable, and some potentially useful scripts are supplied. For example, there’s a script in the global scripts menu when Mail is frontmost, that adds capture options, including Add message(s) & attachments to DEVONthink. Select a Mail message that includes one or more attachments and choose this script. A new folder will be created, named as the Subject of the message and will include the email message and the attachments as separate items, all indexed and searchable. That’s the capture option I may choose for messages with important information in an attachment.

Sometimes I need to send a Windows-using colleague files that he isn’t set up to view on his computer. Suppose the capture of an attachment as describe in the paragraph above is for a Pages attachment. I can “print” the Pages document as PDF or export it as PDF from Pages, then send it to him.

Thanks a lot for your really helpfull advises! Kind regards, Friedrich

Morning.

Is it possible to make an amendment to Ctrl+Alt+Cmd+M, so that the email will not only be added to DTPO, but additionally will be moved into a given mailbox »completed issues«?

Kind regards, Friedrich