"Advanced" Boolean Searches in the Find Dialog?

Hi all-

I guess I’m just confirming this: in the Find dialog, accessed by Command-F from a PDF Document window for example, am I not able to use some of the “advanced” queries such as:

What I find in the Search window is that the OR’ed search is what is highlighted. In other words, any occurrence of “bell,” “labs” or “laboratories” is highlighted. Many of my documents have 20-30 hits on labs or laboratories, but only 1-3 on bell, so using Control-command-arrows to run through the hits is pretty painful.

:frowning:

Charles

The Find/Replace dialog is working like in all other applications, meaning that wildcards or operators are not supported.

Edit > Find > Find… (Command-F) vs. Tools > Search… (Shift-Command-F). :slight_smile:

No, I understand the difference, and was asking about whether the search syntax was the same for both, which it is not.

To elaborate my example, I have a lot of documents referring to Bell Labs in citations at the end of each document. When I use the Search window, I’m shown hits of “laboratories” and “labs” in places where “bell” is not NEXT, so I’m running through these false hits (sometimes 20-30 of them) just to get to the end of the document, and to find that the “bell labs” reference is in a citation. Of course, there are other documents in which there are substantial discussions of Bell Labs.

It would be great if only the hits satisfying the actual search criterion were highlighted, but I’m happy to have NEXT, because I’d be much worse off without it.

Best, Charles

Why not use exact string searches instead of the NEXT proximity operator?

“bell labs” OR “bell laboratories” will yield the desired results and the exact strings “bell labs” and “bell laboratories” will be highlighted as such when you view a selected search result in the Search window.

Well, that was a example query for my post.

In reality, I’m dealing with the variants “Bell Laboratory” and “Bell Telephone Laboratories” as well. Plus there are my OCR’ed old newspaper clips with their misses, and I’m not sure the effect of hyphenation or continuation across a line break.

C

When I use an exact string search like: “disk image” OR “disk copy” in DT Pro Office, it correctly yields “disk image” and “disk copy”. However, in DT Pro, the same command yields hits on “disk”, “image”, “copy”, and “or”.

This is actually confirmed by the DT Pro manual. Under Boolean Operators, it explains that, (to give the manual’s precise example), if one enters “term1”, it will yield hits on that ‘string’. But “term1” is not a string in the implied sense (of including spaces), and of course merely returns the same result as term1 without the quotation marks, while the implied string “term 1” with a space yields hits on both “term” and “1”.

Don’t know why this (to my mind) very important operator “[str ing]” works in DT Pro Office, but can’t be made to work in DT Pro. Or am I missing something?

Ed