All was working then->Missing files for the entire database

Hi,

I was working on my database then I got the "missing fil’ on the every file in the database.

I did a “verify and repair” and all 4291 files were missing.

See attachemen.

Why and How did this happen?

Now I will move forward to troubleshoot this.

Please advise if you having some support points.

The very best and Happy New Year,
-BrianP

Hi,

I rebuilt the database and all is order but why did this happen and how can I avoid the ‘missing files’ from occuring again.

I simply want to keep the database as stable as possible.

The very best,
-BrianP

You should never put your databases in any cloud-synced folder (including the Documents or Desktop folders if you are using the disk management feature in macOS 10.12 or higher). ​Never. If you have, you ​must ​relocate them immediately or you could irreparably damage them. The safest location is a folder in your Home Directory, like ​~/Databases​. Quit DEVONthink and move your databases to a new folder in your Home directory.

Hi,

Thank-you very much for your support.

I moved the DevonThink Databases to a folder on a non-icloud sync folder on my Mac.

Is it just the DevonThink Database folders that need to be moved?

I kept the DevonThink archives on the icloud sync folder. Should I move these too?

Just wondering why this is important. To understandi the why would help me consider moving other files on my compouter to a non-icloud sync folder.

The very best,
-BrianP

If you’re referring to ZIP files, they’re fine. Also, Sync data (.dtCloud) is made for use with these locations. Cloud services in general are not compatible with package files (and we’re not the only developers who have issued such warnings). It is better to assume they’re not data-safe and use our Sync plugin, as able.