Allow different paths on different devices for indexed folders?

Hi,
I suppose if one indexes some movie files from an external volume and syncs the database, then downloads the same database on another Macbook without external storage, the files are not going to get synced but will be reported missing.
If this is the case, would Devonthink allow selecting different paths on different devices for the same folder in the future, or is there a workaround for this? Thanks!

The files are marked as pending (not yet downloaded) but not reported as missing.

Why don’t you either (1) take the external resource to the second Mac, if possible, or (2) connect a drive with the same name to the second Mac?

Thanks for your clarifiaction!

Yeah I just want to access files on an external drive with Devonthink as a sync store, but I guess that’s not what it’s intended for.

• Where are the Macs?
  • Where is the external drive?

There’s a macmini connected to an SSD storing Devonthink databases at home, and a macbook at work.
Can be solved by moving the database back onto macmini, I’m just curious if configuring different paths on different devices is possible. Never mind!