Alternative to Dock bounce?

I have recently defected to DT from StickyBrain, having been driven mad by the relentless beachballing. DT is great, and has saved me from insanity. :slight_smile:

One small thing though - would it be possible to have alternative ways of notifying you when youā€™ve added a note? One good thing SB did was play a sound. The DT icon bouncing in the Dock can be a bit of a headache at times, to be honest.

Perhaps there is a setting somewhere, but I havenā€™t found it yet.

Thanks!

I agree.

I associate a bouncing icon with something ā€œwrongā€ or at least needing attention. I would much prefer the melodious ā€œding-dongā€ and knowing that my clipping is taken care of.

Maybe weā€™ll change this in the future (depending on the number of requests of course :wink:). Basically Iā€™m afraid that as soon as DT plays a sound, people want a preference to select a sound. And we try to avoid to add too many options.

Ha! Quite true, Iā€™m afraid. The preferences never end. It took me a little while to get used to the ā€˜bounceā€™ for the same reasons a birameus. Now if I donā€™t see the bounce I think something is wrong (which of course there is!). We adapt.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yes, I guess that preferences are a bit of a Pandoraā€™s box, as people might start asking for other things, like OS9-style coloured text. :wink: (That is something that I bugged the StickyBrain people about, but I donā€™t know if theyā€™ve incorporated it into their latest versionā€¦!)

But Iā€™ll still say that it would be nice to have a sound, and hope that lots of others agree with me. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m only one other but agree that audible feedback for certain actions would be nice.

I like Notebookā€™s solution to this: a sound (like scissors) and a scissors icon superimposed over the Dock icon.

growl?

Iā€™m not sure how well Growl notifications would work for this style of feedback. Seems like unnecessary overhead that might impact performance, which Iā€™ve noticed happening with certain notifications (GrowlMail).