Annotation colours

Thank you for the information! I guess such a change would be have to be optional as not everybody would prefer this.

1 Like

(posting deleted)

Just wading in here to add a few cents’ worth: I too use a summary approach that involves all of the colours, with different meanings being associated with each. I.e. purple being “quotable”, electric blue suggesting “further investigation”, green = “annotated” etc. etc.

To the extent that some form of sorting could be performed that would take cognisance of those “labels” that I have associated with my various highlighting, that would be a very welcome addition!

+1 here. The Highlights app does this great and it seems like something DT3 could do, given all its other (much more complex) offerings. I was quite literally just searching about this wondering if DT3 can handle it so I can cancel my Highlights subscription. I mean, I love what the app does, but the subscription bloat is getting crazy. Trying to pare it down a bit…

A sample summary created by DEVONthink and by Highlights of the same document would be useful for comparison, thanks.

I think he’s referring to…

And here’s an exported PDF of the highlights…

highlights.pdf.zip (16.4 KB)

When not sorting the annotations by color, it appears as…

Yes. Whereas the resulting document in DT3 is nowhere near that organized. Attached is a quick conversion of a document just for comparison of how it looks compared to the one posted by @BLUEFROG. The difference is night and day, really.

However, one thing that Highlights does not do as far as I am aware (which sucks, in my opinion), is provide you links to every single annotation that take you to that point on the page. When I click on the PDF (or Markdown) file links generated by DT3, I am taken to that point in the corresponding document. Would not want to lose that capability.

(28) Therapy Treatment Centers Medical Records; KING Summary.pdf (31.5 KB)

OTOH, the difference is largely cosmetic :wink:

1 Like

That’s one aspect of it but certainly not “largely.” As indicated in the prior posts, the one major thing that cannot be done w/the DT3 annotations is to sort by a type (i.e. the arbitrary labels one gives the highlight colors). That capability is extremely useful when reviewing one’s markup.

An example completely outside of DT3 is an application I use called TranscriptPad. It is for reading and annotating deposition transcripts. The results can be exported as a report and organized by “Issue Codes” (read: Labels) that are also color coded based on what the user chooses. With the resulting report organized via these Issue Codes, you have a report document that breaks down your transcript into the categories that are important/relevant for your case. That is far more useful than it being chronological.