Annotation keyboard shortcuts

Hi all,

I’m taking an online course, and am attempting to annotate the PDF presentation, as the instructor talks, using DT3. Are there any keyboard shortcuts for quickly selecting the various tools (add text, add shape, add line, etc.)? Also, do auto-expanding text boxes exist? (I’d love to be able to just click a location, and start typing my text, and have the box expand or be a predetermined width, so that I don’t later have to come back, carefully hover the cursor over the text line, and then expand it to the size that I want it to be.)

Thanks!

No, but you can add these yourself in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.

Assign one - like I’ve shown above - then click and drag on the PDF to set a textbox width, then start typing.

And yes, that’s all one Text annotation :stuck_out_tongue:

@BLUEFROG,

Hey Jim, thanks for the info regarding adding the keyboard short cuts. Obviously, I had no idea about this and will give it a shot! As for the text box, I knew that I could click and drag out the textbox, but it takes a moment to do so, and when someone is lecturing and you’re trying to jot down notes, time is of the essence. It would really be great if the textbox was a bit bigger than just a thin line by default, when one clicks to insert text. Just my $0.02. :slight_smile:

Best!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m trying to add a keyboard shortcut for adding a note to a PDF, but after creating one for Command-Shift-N, it doesn’t seem to be working:

Any suggestions? Sonoma 14.0 and DT3 3.9.4.

I think that’s because there are two menu items named ‘Note’ so it’s conflicting with one of the Templates (Data > New With Template > Productivity > Note)—you’ll see the Data menu flash briefly when you press cmd-shift-n.

The solution is to add the full path of the menu item you want in the keyboard settings so that the shortcut gets assigned properly. Try this as the menu title in Settings:

Tools->Annotate->Note. (Note it’s ‘hyphen right-arrow’, with no spaces).

That works for me.

HTH

Nice to see they fixed this as it wasn’t working in the betas of Sonoma. However, editing things in the App Shortcuts is still broken. Grr, Apple…

1 Like

Thanks @brookter ! That worked. I had tried it with Tools > Annotate > Note since that’s how it renders in the Help menu if you try to search for a command.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed that you can’t edit the menu title, but have to create a new shortcut and delete the old one. That’s seems a little clunky…

I’ve got a vague memory that the > on its own used to work, but I could be wrong…