Annotations folder

Hi,

I noticed that in my databases an (empty) Annotations group popped up. Even in my “tag based database”. If I delete them I get an error saying that I need to repair my database, and voila… they’re back. Is there a way I can prevent this?

KR,
Alex

Welcome @DeLub

You must be creating annotation files.
What is Preferences > General > General > Annotations set to?

Even in my “tag based database”.

? Do you mean you’re trying to not use groups?

It is set to “in shared group”. Should I set it to “in same group”?

What I meant is that this group also shows up in a database that has “Exclude Groups from Tagging” deselected. It shows up with a normal group icon and not a tag icon.

Then that’s the correct behavior. The shared group is the Annotations group at the root of the database. And yes, you can use in shared group to create them in the same group as the referring document.

What I meant is that this group also shows up in a database that has “Exclude Groups from Tagging” deselected. It shows up with a normal group icon and not a tag icon.

That’s because the group is excluded from acting as a group tag.

Ok. I set it to “in same group”, but still the annotations groups get recreated. In all databases, even in the Inbox. How do I get rid of them?

• What version of DEVONthink and operating system are you running?

Create a new database and put or create a document in it.
Create an annotation file in the Annotations & Reminders inspector.
Is an Annotations group created in the root of the database?

The strange thing is… although I did experiment with annotations, I never use them. And certainly not in all databases. The only thing I sometimes do is highlight text in a pdf.

I’m using DT 3.9.4 on macOS 14.2.

However, I did what you mentioned and created a test database, inserted a pdf, highlighted text, as well as added an annotation in the inspector. DT created a new annotation file, but no folder. And the database seems to be fine.

Somehow I cannot get rid of this folder (which is indeed always in the root of the database):

When I delete it I get the notification to do a repair and then it is recreated…

Did you just trash it or also empty the trash?

When exactly? E.g.after a certain action or after synchronizing?

That’s actually in the Inbox of one of your open databases (and also not where the Annotations group would appear).
You have the top-level Inboxes group which shows a union of the Inboxes of all open databases. Expand that group. Is that group in the Global Inbox? If so, try this…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox
  3. If you see the folders in here (and this is where they should be) you can safely delete them.
  4. Relaunch DEVONthink.

Both

After repairing the database

It is also in other databases:

The Inbox folder is empty.

Please disable all sync locations, trash the group and empty the trash. Then repair the database - is this group really added after repairing?

Yes! They’re gone! Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone. I recently installed DEVONthink To Go. My databases are syncing properly however the empty Annotation groups referenced above are now appearing in my In Box and in my single Database.

I have deleted the Annotation groups, emptied the trash and repaired the databases multiple times over the 3 weeks to no avail.

Any further advice?

Welcome @khardman

Regarding the Global Inbox…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox
  3. If you see the folders in here (and this is where they should be) you can safely delete them.
  4. Relaunch DEVONthink.

Also are you syncing and via what method?

Thank you for the response. I did as you suggested above. There is not an annotation group in the directory ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox despite the Annotation folder appearing in the DEVONthink directory. See attached.

Yes, syncing via iCloud (Cloudkit)

CleanShot 2024-02-19 at 11.50.36

You’re welcome!
That’s not in the Global Inbox. It’s only in the Inbox of your separate database.
Are you creating annotation files in DEVONthink To Go?

Following up on the issue above. The empty Annotation groups have remained. It appears to be in both the Global InBox and the database. The group does not appear in the Library. I am not creating annotations in DEVONthink To Go.

Delete the Annotations group on all devices, then synchronize them. Does this help?

Thanks for replying. I’ve done that before but will try again.