Anyone else tried Syncing through a personal Synology?

You have created two local sync stores in addition to the WebDAV one. Not sure their purpose.

Left bar will never show databases from Synology under the Open Databases section. ONLY if the database is on local drive will it appear. Below example of tes port lives on the desktop of the mini for testing.

That is correct.
The only other option in DEVONthink would have been to try and open the database from the NAS. However…

1. As others have mentioned, we do not advocate storing DEVONthink databases on an NAS unless your Macs are hardwired via Gigabit Ethernet.
  2. DEVONthink databases are not made for simultaneous user access, so you cannot open a DEVONthink database from more than one machine at a time. We espouse a decentralized data model where each device has a copy of the database but can sync to a commonly accessible location.
1 Like

Discouraged, understood and under consideration. Yes, file structures are likely different as well…all good points.

Yes, the intention was as a shared folder providing local access to the Mac.

Just me using the data.
Guess there is they off handed chance I forget to close the data file on the Mac and start using from the iPhone (or vice versa if that could happen.

Database file sizes would be too large for full local syncs on iOS devices.

Just me using the data.

Even if it’s just you using the data, if you have multiple Macs it still wouldn’t be simultaneously accessible.

Database file sizes would be too large for full local syncs on iOS devices.

• DEVONthink To Go wouldn’t be able to access the databases in the NAS anyways.

• Also, syncing is optional so there’s nothing stating you’d have to have all the databases in DEVONthink To Go.

• Depending on the sync method, you could look at using a shallow sync, where the content is downloaded on demand. In this case, you may have to set up accessing the sync location off your network if you were wanting to download contents while not at home.

Well, they might with a little help like the Filemanager app. That one gives me access to all the files in my NAS. Which do of course not include DT databases.

Only one desktop atm.

There isn’t one notebook that is more valuable than the next to keep on in full sync w/the iPhone. It would be a select note now and again on demand. Example from last year, I was at a closing table for an investment property and there was some type of miscommunication on documents needed to close. How we all got the closing table w/o the docs in advance is beyond me…closer refused to move on w/o a specific doc. I was able to remote into the network and pull the doc…saved the day. This was through a different method and a pain to traverse to obtain document - but if it was part of DT I would have been able to search, hit a button and download …simple.

Yes, shallow sync is the idea. Mind elaborating around the need to set up accessing the sync location off the network? Sync location was actually going to be dead in the heart of the network.

This depends on the equipment. Synology has a method called QuickConnect (though I don’t use it in-house).

QuickConnect, while cool, has been disabled. Have everything running through traditional means…all working well.

Sync, however, is not happening well…close…seeing signs of things close. Have a note or two that managed to sync but problems in general. Some reason other notes in the same spaces are not syncing. Confusing.

In this example, the only database that is NOT on Synology is the desktop (local sync store). Databases from the iPhone show up under Remote, BUT only desktop option appears to IMPORT (not sync) …that highlighted row is what needs to be sync’d, and it is on the Synology in the same spot as everything else (except the desktop local store)… the time stamps are showing as accurate indicating things are all working fine.

Image from Synology shared folder…
all databases show the Inbox and tes port, while mobile also shows the From phone and Test2 which were created from the iPhone…and stored on Synology (not iPhone) is the expectation and that is the path in the settings.

Why are you throwing sync locations at the problem and again, what are the local sync stores for?

And you cannot sync to an item in the Remote section. As noted in the forums and documentation, those are databases that aren’t open on the machine or haven’t been imported to it.

There’s a fairly lengthy description how to use WebDAV to sync to a Synology in the forum. Did you see that?

note that this talk of port forwarding is for access from the public internet, no? Synology WebDav works well, configures easily and simply, sync setup as in the DEVONthink Handbook, and “just works” even in a local network without port forwarding issues. just so other readers of this unusual thread comes across all this.

1 Like

Correct :slight_smile:

Yes. I explained port forwarding because I assumed that people who set up a NAS probably want to access it from outside their local network, too. Especially in the context of sync: otherwise, Bonjour would be easier to set up, I guess.

1 Like

I’m pleased you provided that article; just wanted to make sure people didn’t avoid using their Synology NAS’s WebDav server for synching and try to use file sharing (not recommended) and come to that conclusion because of a misunderstanding about having to mess with ports if a NAS involved. I know a small detail, but we’ve seen misunderstandings on this already (including here in this thread).

My Synology NAS is not connected to the public internet (to my knowledge!) but I exploit many its features beyond just as a backup.

1 Like

In-house we all have a Synology NAS in our locations and they’ve been very reliable, including for syncing via WebDAV (though I don’t know who may be connecting from off-network).

Another reader here hitting this same issue… syncing not happening between iPhone and Desktop w/the store on Synology.

Closest I am getting is (from the desktop) seeing the databases created by the iPhone and only option is as an IMPORT, but not a sync.

If it isn’t too much to ask, able to post photos of the settings redacting sensitive data?

Use the Synology WebDav server and be done with it.

1 Like

From your description so far, that is exaclty what you should be seeing.

You can’t sync to a remote database. You have to import it.
This is well documented and discussed.

Did you read the linked post? Did you do what it describes? If not, what did you do? It’s impossible to help you if you do not give enough detail about your setup.

1 Like