Anyone else tried Syncing through a personal Synology?

I’m not too keen on the fees Dropbox asks to accommodate my DT database, so I’ve been looking at other options. Simplest is just syncing my iPad and MacBook when they’re on the same network, but twice this week I’ve wanted access to a file that as only on the other device.

One solution seems to be opening my Synology too outside connections and putting the DT database there, but as a rank amateur I’m having a heck of a time cracking it. Has anyone successfully made this kind of a system work>

We do not suggest putting the database on the NAS, but Synology NAS’s typically have WebDAV capabilities. Setting this up, especially access over the Internet is a Synology question but yes we have people using its WebDAV for syncing.

I have Synology WebDAV synchronization without any issue since first time I installed DT and DTTG.

My configuration has DDNS from Synology, WebDAV server enabled with SSL, a Let’s Encrypt auto-renewed certificate for the Synology DDNS, open the WebDAV (non standard one, basic security protection) port in my AirPort Extreme router redirected to the NAS.

Synology has an encrypted shared folder as sync destination, a only use Synology account for DT sync and password protected the DT synchronization.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m sure that’s helpful to people - and a good example of it working well. :slight_smile:

I have a personal VPN to my home network. When I want to access my data, I open the vpn connection and am able to sync data and and access any documents on the webdav sync. The configuration has worked very well.

1 Like

I have about 7 databases with about 20GB of data I keep open in DT and I sync through my Synology via WEBDAV. Have never run into any issues.

As rfog says, DDNS either from Synology or your provider of choice (but Synology’s is super easy). Then you have to open up a port in your router that gets you to your Synology. I use the EZ-Internet app to auto-configure my router.

If you are having trouble getting DT to connect, it’s probably the connection properties.

https://XXXXXX.synology.me:5006/path/to/folder

5006 is Synology’s secure WebDAV port. That’s what threw me off for a bit when I was setting it up. You have to add the port to the URL.

Hope that helps. If you have a stable internet connection behind your NAS, it works like a dream. I sync EVERYTHING through my NAS. I’m almost Google-free at this point.

4 Likes

I’m almost Google-free at this point.

Woohoo! :wink:

3 Likes

How does the sync performace compare between WebDAV/Synology and iCloud (given 1Gbit/s connectivity to Syno and Internet/iCloud)?

I have been using exactly the same configuration, albeit without the encryption on the Synology share. Works great.

My only two cents is that it is not possible to use the Synology’s two-factor authentication with WebDAV, so I suggest:

• Only enabling WebDAV for the users who need it
  • Preferably for accounts without admin rights
  • Make sure accounts with WebDAV access have a really strong password
3 Likes

Yes, I have a generated password with 1password. I use to generate strong ones and let 1passord (or apple keychain) all the login stuff.

Just wondering if you or someone else could help me out with the webDAV connection settings. (Context: I’m hurriedly trying to set up a webDAV sync store, because I’m apparently about to have some beta data loss issues with iCloud.)

I’m trying to connect with DTTG, and I keep getting this error: “Error while setting up location ‘testdav.dtCloud’: Creation of directory failed. Please check scheme (HTTP/HTTPS), path and port of the URL.”

I’m just doing this through my local network, so my address is: http://192.168.0.3:5005/volume1/dttg/testdav

And my sync store is: testdav

“dttg” exists as a shared folder, my user has access and owns it. dttg/testdav is a folder within dttg. I’ve also tried address https://192.168.0.3:5006/volume1/dttg and sync store testdav, in case the sync store needs to be an already-existing directory.

I’m sure I’m making some stupid obvious error, but I can’t see it. Any help would be appreciated!

(And Bluefrog or other DT folks – from a UX perspective, it would be REALLY nice if the config fields had example values!)

You need to remove “volume1”, and give WebDAV permissions to the user that is trying to access the server.

BTW, to start, you can do it via Finder. Open Connect to and type the URL. Once Finder was able to see the folder, doing it in DT is direct.

Edit: remove volume1 and add the shared folder name. Eg: my webdav is in https://ip:port/DEVONthink, and store is Store. Then in my NAS, DEVONthink is the shared folder, that has inside a folder called Store.

Great, thanks!

There’s a very detailed description on setting up Webdav sync with Synology NASs in the tips subforum.

1 Like

Hope no one minds reopening this topic as I’m looking for nearly the exact same setup. Hitting a problem that would appear to be the Mini not (properly) reading the databases on the NAS. Curious if @rfog @atdnorth @mlgill

TLDR; iOS and Desktop are not syncing across NAS.

Environment
• MacMini (DT3) + various iOS devices (DTTG)
• Synology w/intention to be the solo location for databases
• Mini and iOS devices read/write/sync to file/s on Synology.
• iOS devices are a light sync

Databases (experimental to get syncing established)

From Mac Finder > Synology > Directory >
Double clicking launches DT w/error of database already in use.

From DT > File > Open Databases > Synology > Directory

Troubleshooting Datapoints

• Any tech that messes w/ports currently disabled (vpns etc)

• https://localip/5006/path/tofolder works fine from finder (cmd+k connect to server)

• iOS - Everything seems to working as expected from iOS. Create database, save. Unable to connect to desktop.dtCloud, only mobile.dtCloud (or databases which I create from DTTG.

• All roads point to permissions on Synology. The directly is a shared folder, using the same credentials that appear to be working everywhere (even admin user shows same problems.)

• Left bar will never show databases from Synology under the Open Databases section. ONLY if the database is on local drive will it appear. Below example of tes port lives on the desktop of the mini for testing.

• Port forwarding - using a vpn for accessing anything on the Synology (this has been working super smooth everywhere (file share, drive access you name it) so presuming this is working as expected.

Notice both the 'desktop and ‘mobile’ files are marked as local even through they are both stored on the nas.

Note, this item under remote only provide option to import, not sync.

Any direction would be helpful…feels like I have tried all avenues in troubleshooting…getting close and missing some key factor.

sorry, but i cannot help with debugging your setup. however, i use a WebDav server as a sync location for five devices on the local network. i do not attempt to store the databases on the NAS as it is recommended that databases be stored local to the app.

Right.

I managed to get one database syncing as expected, and not sure what I did different or why it works…so progress none-the-less.

Ironically it is the sample desktop database that is managing to sync to the iPhone.

Understand the preferences for having the database local. My thinking around the home network situation has evolved over the years and I’m now aiming to keep EVERYTHING on the Synology as the heartbeat of the home network, where everything else are more appliances that tap into it, including the desktop Mac.

Processing and workload can happen on devices, but all files get stored in one spot, decoupled from the devices themselves.

I get what you are doing. but the device may not have the performance needed to preclude database corruption. your choice. i wouldn’t do it, though.

we use the synology—asdesigned to exploit its WebDev, Web server, Team Drive, MariaDB server, Synology Drive with it’s syncing tools, backup of all networked devices, external sync to BackBlaze, etc.

@rmschne has already pointed out that what you are planning to do is not supported and discouraged.

I have no idea about the real implementation of DT databases, but just as a thought: what if they’re relying on features of Apple‘s file system that are not available in smb/cifs? How can that work reliably?

You can of course go ahead and try your luck. But you shouldn’t be too astonished if you run in problems and loose data.

1 Like

+1 to all discouraging messages.

However, if you don’t want to have a full database in your local mac, you could put the files in a shared folder in your NAS, then index those files. Local database will contain only metadata but not real files, and the real files will be in your sync database for your mobile devices.

However, take in consideration that, except if you have SSD cache disks and 1GB wired network with your NAS and your Mac, performance will be lower than poor due network latency.

2 Likes