Anyone here has an eink table like supernote, boox or remarkable that uses it along Devonthink?

Hi there!

I’m looking forward to buy an eink tablet, however I would like see before if anyone here has one and what’s their workflow.

I want to buy a Supernote but the handwritten annotations made are more like images that can’t be searched when viewing them with preview and also can’t be copied. You kind of have to export them to .jpg, and do other things to make it work.

My suggested workflow would be adding the annotated PDF or “digest” (function within supernote) and try to run the OCR.

Thank you.

1 Like

I have a Boox for few weeks. Annotated pdf can be exported anywhere. (in pdf format not only in jpeg) So potentially there should be possible workflow between eink device and Devonthink. (But unfortunately I hadn’t tested it yet).

2 Likes

Well I hope some day you test it and tell us how it went! This is what’s been stopping me from getting an eink device.

What’s the place of your boox inside your workflow?

2 Likes

Now I use it as a reader (surprisingly, right?), highlight or mark interesting thoughts and passages in texts. Then I retype that passages (and almost always paraphrase them) in Devonthink or Tinderbox. It seems to be not very effective (since I have to go back to my notes and highlights) but at the same time it’s a big benefit to think over your notes.

As Boox works on Android you can easily use handwriting recognition in native notes app. It should help to automate your workflow.
I personally read not only in English so the handriting recognition doesn’t work for me.

Just a piece of advice: if you work with texts and have extra money - get an Eink device. It is superuseful.

3 Likes

I have had a boox ereader for about a year now and am using it in my devonthink process as follows:

1. I use DT as my read it later process. so anything I would like to save for later gets stored in an indexed (not internal) folder/group in DT. this folder in the file system gets synced via my favorite cloud storage (in my case tresorit, could be any cloud service though) to my boox, where I can read it conveniently.

2. any highlighting or annotations I do in my files processed in 1) get stored / moved to another cloud folder, which syncs into an indexed folder in my DT inbox. the newly processed or highlighted documents thus is in my inbox and gets tagged / processed / archived / whatever. the reading loop is thus closed.

3. in addition I pretty much stopped taking notes or in my case more importantly doing sketches on paper (e.g. during meetings), but am doing them on my boox, then export them as pdfs and feed them back into my DT inbox via 2).

hope this helps…

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m saving for a supernote, that’s why I created the topic. I have a similar workflow when working with my kindle pases. I create notes of passages asking questions that elicit the answer of the text.

When I finish I export this, move it to Devonthink and try to recall the material.

Great workflow thanks for sharing! Are you able to OCR with DevonThink your notes and annotations created with your boox?

1 Like

yes, the imported and highlighted pdfs get OCRed bei DT and the highlights show up as such in DT, my handwriting however seems to be beyond recognizable…:wink:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, very useful and inspiring! Is #2 automated? When I tried something like that with Hazel, I somehow ended up with an infinite loop of copies…

no, for me it is not automated. reason being that the field of documents read and possibly annotated is so diverse in my case that some kind of manual intervention is typically needed to tag & slot them in correctly after having processed them in my boox.

with a more uniform stream of documents one might think about tagging and filing them with a smart group or an apple script though I guess…

I absolutely love my Boox (Max Lumi – it’s all about the double-page spreads), but found the onboard annotation features rather basic and limiting, having been completely spoiled by DT. The penny eventually dropped that what I really wanted was to be using DT with an e-ink screen, so I shelled out for their Mira Pro monitor and it’s the most amazing reading device I’ve ever used. Obviously it’s not a solution for the use cases under discussion here, but if you’d rather be doing your heavy reading in desktop DT without the eyeball torture of backlit screens, a giant e-ink monitor is the dream. I use a custom version of their Read Mode setting with the contrast maxed out.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll keep the Mira Pro on my watch. It looks like an interesting solution. Now that the ipad has better support for an external display, I guess it can also be used that way.

The only tablet supported by DEVONthink is an Apple iPad
It’s not e-ink; is that important?

I spent my money on an iPad, and DEVONthink To Go license
In addition to the Devonthink features, the iPad is an all-purpose device
afaik It can handle any of the e-ink tablet features (except for the e-ink screen)

2 Likes

Hi! Yeah, I’m happy with my iPad too, but sometimes it could be a relief to watch and read on an e-ink device when I get home from work.

Apple are allegedly working on a foldable tablet that has an e-ink screen on the “outside” in addition to the iPad screen we know and love (source). We’re at least a couple of years away from anything coming to market (assuming they even decide their experiments are worth pursuing to market), but honestly this is my dream - an iPad that has an e-ink screen alongside a full colour screen so you can switch screen depending on your activity.

4 Likes