Apple Mail and Attachments

Hello
If I want to save an email from Apple mail using the “add to DevonThink pro office” plug-in in Apple mail, How do I get it to import with its associated attachments?
Thanks

Kim Marietta

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB memory
Mac Book Pro
Fujitsu S1300 Scanner
DTPO 2.0.5

One more thing on this issue. When i try to do the above, only the first page Of the attachment comes up as a graphic page. In other words, I just imported an email with an attached PDF file and only the first page of the pdf file is shown. I would like the pdf files or any attachment files for that matter to be shown in the body of the email just like they are in most mail programs.
Thanks
Kim Marietta

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB memory
Mac Book Pro
Fujitsu S1300 Scanner
DTPO 2.0.5

The attachments are imported but the default view (based on Quick Look) doesn’t make them accessible, therefore just switch to the alternate view (via the navigation bar or the View menu)

Thanks so much

Sorry - I don’t get it. Which “alternate view” do you mean (I’m using the german localized version). I can’t right-click on an attachment to select e.g. “Overview of…”.

A general question regarding mail import. You say, that the attachments do get imported by DT. For my understanding, all DT does is import the whole eml, but doesn’t care about attachments. Therefore any content of attachments doesn’t get indexed and can’t be found - which renders the whole mail import pretty much useless for me.

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,
Stephan.

Immediately above the pane in which the email message is displayed, there’s a navigation bar. I’ve attached a screenshot of the right side of that bar.

See the little icon of a text page with the right corner folded down? Click on the “Text” icon to switch to display of the email as rich text.

Now you can click on an attachment to open it under its native application.

No, an attachment is not indexed when the message is imported, but you can save it to your database if you wish. It will then be searchable (if possible, depending on filetype).

You could then
associate it with the email message by creating a new rich text note and giving it the same name as the email. Then paste the Item Link of each attachment that’s been imported into the database, and you have clickable links to the attachments. (I sometimes do this if the attachments contain useful information.)
Navigation bar above message.jpg

Bill I think this is EXACTLY what I am trying to get DTO to do with my apple mail emails and their corresponding attachments.
What I don’t understand is the part about making a new rich text note, giving it the same name as the email, then pasting the link of each attachment into the rich text note. Do you mean like doing a wiki link?

What I want to have is a special group in DTO where I can archive important SENT emails (with their attachments) and find them in 7 months from now when the SOB who I sent it to initially plays the “I never got your email” game…

Do you see where I am going with this?

Thanks

Kim Marietta

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB memory
Mac Book Pro
Fujitsu S1300 Scanner
DTPO 2.0.6

Let’s say that you had sent John Doe an email containing a PDF attachment of an important report, on 5 November, 2010. You are using DT Pro Office. You’ve selected that email to John Doe in your Mail Sent folder and captured it to one of your databases.

You can now search in your DTPO database for “John Doe” and find that message. The attachment will be included in that message, but the name and text content of the attached PDF was not indexed into DEVONthink.

Suppose that you would like to include the attachment as a standalone, indexed and searchable document in your database. To do that, open the attachment under it’s parent application, e.g., Preview. In Preview, use File > Save (or “print” a copy as PDF) and save the attachment PDF to the “Inbox” place in the left column of a Finder window. This will result in saving the attachment to your Global Inbox; the text content was indexed, and it’s now searchable in your database. Then move the new document to any location of your choice in a database.

But there’s no obvious connection between the new PDF and the email message that had included it as an attachment. How might you create a way to associate them?

I suggested that you create a new rich text note in your database. Give that note the same name as the email message. Why? If you search your database for the Name of the email, it will also pull up that new note with the same name. There’s the start of an association.

To complete the association, go back to that new PDF file that resulted from the attachment contained in the email message. Select the PDF in your database and choose Edit > Copy Item Link. Now paste that Item Link from the clipboard into your associated rich text note. The note now contains a clickable link to the PDF. You can also add to the note the Item Link of the email message, or for that matter any other documents that might be useful, as well as any additional text within the note that might provide useful information. As the note is searchable, the email is searchable, and the attachment is searchable – and the note defines a relationship between the email and the attachment – you should be in business.

Experiment (play). That’s the best way to work out an approach that suits your needs.

Although you might want to place that “tie-together” rich text note in the same group as the email message, so that they show up next to each other under a Name sort, it’s not necessary to place the imported attachment PDF in that group, as the note contains a link to it so that it can be found anywhere in the database.

Thanks so much Bill

Kim Marietta

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB memory
Mac Book Pro
Fujitsu S1300 Scanner
DTPO 2.0.6