Apple Mail plug-in is incompatible with Mail v 16

The DEVONthink plugin for Apple Mail (ver 4.0.7) is reported as being incompatible with Apple Mail version 16 on macOS Monterey (12.6.3). I have manually deleted the bundle from the user library location and reinstalled the plugin through the DT “Install Add-on” preference panel.

Can someone tell me if there is something that I can do to make the DT mail plugin work with the current version of Apple Mail?

And did you re-enable the plugin in Mail’s global preferences?

Has none of the umpteen threads regarding that issue turned out to be helpful?

Did I reenable the plugin in Mail’s preferences? Yes.

Has none of the threads regarding this issue turned out to be helpful? Correct. I have followed all of the various recommendations that I’ve seen from @BLUEFROG (especially) and still I get the same message from Apple Mail that the plugin is incompatible and will be disabled.

In my case, I don’t have the plugin showing in Mail preferences and it is marked as installed in the DT Install Add-ons.

Post a screencap of what you’re looking at.

It’s not an extension, as noted previously. It seems that Mail is not showing you the plug-in button in the general preferences tab. That’s been discussed also before, and there’s a remedy for it.

2 Likes
  • Is your home directory on an external drive instead of the internal boot drive?
    • If not, try this…
      1. Quit Mail.
      2. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app.
      3. Paste: defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles -bool true and press Return.
      4. Type: exit, press Return, and quit Terminal.
      5. Launch Mail and see if the button appears in the General preferences.
1 Like

Yes. It is there now and module is enabled. 1000 Thanks.

You’re welcome… 1000 times :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any suggestions on my issue? Regardless of what I do to reinstall the DEVONthink Mail plugin, I get a message that the plugin is incompatible and needs to be updated to work with Mail ver 16.

Remove the installed plug-ins from ~/Library/Mail/Bundles and ~/Library/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users/<Your Username>/Library/Mail/Bundles and then install it again. Does this work? Please ensure that DEVONthink has full disk access.

1 Like

Following @cgrunenberg’s comments, if that doesn’t work, try this…

In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and type: /system/library/mail . If the directory exists, open it and check the Bundles directory for a copy of our plugin. If you find one, remove it. Then open DEVONthink, reinstall the plugin, then re-enable it in Apple Mail.

I appreciate you taking the time to repost the instructions. :pray: