Attaching Scripts to Selection

I have a script which is triggered upon selection of an item. This script opens the URL of the item in a separate window. Its for use with RSS feeds where I don’t want to mess with the feed item and want to go straight to the full article on the referenced web site.

The problem is that, as far as I can tell, this script needs to be attached to the item for it to be triggered. That means that, upon selecting the RSS feed group, I need to select all items and attach the script manually. What I would like to do is write a script which, upon selection of the feed group, automatically attaches the relevant script above to all of the child items. Unfortunately, I can’t find a command to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom S.

Just have a look at the “attached script” property of records.

This will attach the same script to all items in a selection (assumes they are in the same group)

tell application id "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2"
	set theGroup to the current group
	set theScript to attached script of theGroup
	set theSelection to the selection
	repeat with this_item in theSelection
		set attached script of this_item to theScript
	end repeat
end tell

First of all thanks for the quick replies.

This is an interesting situation. It seems (to me) that the feed isn’t actually treated as a group.

To start at the beginning, here’s my code based upon what Korm just posted:

tell application id "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2"
	set theGroup to the current group
	set theScript to "/Users/me/Scripts/AutoViewRSS.scpt"
	set theSelection to the selection
	repeat with this_item in theSelection
		set attached script of this_item to theScript
	end repeat
end tell

The result was that the script was attached to the current feed, not the items within that feed. If I select all of the items in the feed and run this script, it works, of course. But what I’d like to do is run the script when the feed, itself, is selected.

I’ve tried a number of variations. For instance, this code attached the script to all of the feeds instead of all of the items within the selected feed:

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	set theParent to current group
	set theSelection to children of theParent
	repeat with theChild in theSelection
		set attached script of theChild to "/Users/me/Scripts/AutoViewRSS.scpt"
	end repeat
end tell

The “current group” is recognized as the parent of the feed, not the feed, itself. The items within the RSS feed group don’t seem to be recognized in the same way that the items within a normal group are. Any suggestions on how I might access the items within the feed, itself?

Thanks,
Tom

Could you post the RSS-viewing script you mentioned? It sounds useful.

No problem:

-- Open selected record and browse to associated URL
-- Created by Tom Shannon

on triggered(theRecord)
	try
		tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
			set theURL to URL of theRecord
			if theURL is {} then error "Please select a record with an associted URL."
			open tab for URL theURL
			set zoomed of think window 1 to true
		end tell
	on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then
			try
				display alert "DEVONthink Pro" message error_message as warning
			on error number error_number
				if error_number is -1708 then display dialog error_message buttons {"OK"} default button 1
			end try
		end if
	end try
end triggered

Tom S.

Thanks! One question: I can’t seem to stop it zooming to full screen. I took out the “set zoomed” line – didn’t affect it. I then tried setting it to “false.” Again, couldn’t stop it zooming. How can this be?

Change the “zoomed” line to false, then restart DT. This should do it, I think.

Tom S.

Tom, and all,

Good script. I was trying to figure out how to use the attached script for just this functionality. However I seem to be getting one small anomaly.

When I click on the record that has a URL, a new tab opens. But, the tab doesn’t contain anything and the title is the UUID of the linked record. Then the record that I actually want to see does open, but in a new window.

What I’d like to have happen is just to have the linked record open in a tab.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Judi Smith

A version of the script that opens the URL in Safari instead can be found at http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12400.

Sorry, I see that I wasn’t clear. What I meant was for all of this to be in DTP. I get a window and a tab in DTP when the script fires.

Does that make sense?