auto-insert CamelCaseText into new document's Alias

Auto-link creation upon detecting CamelCaseText in a RTF is fantastic feature. What takes it over the top in my opinion is the auto-generation of a new file by the name of CamelCaseText if such a file does not exist. Clever idea, and extremely useful.

I have a small(?) suggestion/request.

Presently, the newly-created doc has the name of CamelCaseText. If that name ever gets changed, the link is broken. Altering a name happens — for example, one might decide to add a few words to the title to make it more descriptive, whereas the original CamelCaseText was just meant to be a quick link generator.

To preserve the link even when the document’s name is changed, it would be useful if CamelCaseText is added to the new document’s alias metadata. Links work on a document’s aliases, as well as its name.

While it would be neat to have this as a built-in feature, I am also curious to know if this is something that can be scripted, as a manual patchwork solution for the near term. The script would basically search the name(s) of selected document(s) for CamelCaseText, and if found, assign CamelCaseText to the alias metadata of the corresponding document.

Actually, that’s not the complete case.

Finding mashed words would not mean a corresponding document exists. Even if the WikiLinks are active, creating mashed words does not automatically generate a new document. Clicking on the linked “word” creates the document.

Also note that mashed words is not the only supported method. Names are also supported (as mashed words isn’t “comfortable” or suitable for some). How would you propose to deal with that situation?

Ah, yes. I see that behavior.

One option is the following:

If CamelCaseText is used, then it is inserted into the newly-created document’s alias. If it is not used, then there is no change to the alias. This leaves flexibility at the hands of the user, as it may suit his/her style. Some will prefer the odd-looking CamelCaseText to gain the advantage of being able to change the document’s name without breaking the link. Others will opt to forego the CamelCaseText and use a more traditional name (e.g., Camel Case Text). In the latter case, the user has chosen a scheme in which the link relies completely on maintaining the note’s name.