Automator action to convert selected records?

Automator action to convert selected records (rich text, plain text, PDF [?]). I’m right now creating an “import several thousand HTML documents and convert them to plain text and reg exp them” workflow, and this action is conspicuously missing.

(BTW: The automator actions that already exist are beautiful and thank you for including them, since I try to use that instead of Applescript whenever possible).

There are several ways to do it. Note that we’re not in the business of converting data, so you’ll need to find/create an action that converts a file from one type to another.
So you could do this:
[Get Selected Records]->[Get Data From Records;“path”]->[some action that converts]->[Set Current Group]->[Add Items to Current Group]

or:
[Get Selected Records]->[Export Records]->[some action that converts]->[Set Current Group]->[Add Items to Current Group]

It may be that TextEdit or some other action would work, you’ll have to look for it. Try MacScripter for examples.

P.S. Thank you for your compliments regarding the actions we provide! :wink:

Well, I liked the built-in (“Data > Convert > to ____ text”) just fine – but since the documents aren’t already in my database, I realized that DEVONagent would work fine.

The regexp replacement looked like it was going to be a pain in the neck (I dunno why, but I always have trouble interfacing between files/folders and shell scripts… hmmph), but I figured out another way to do it.

Thanks!