Basic question..attaching a DT document to an email

A really 101 question:

So I’m putting all my documents in DT but then I realised I needed to send an email with an attachment and the document was now in DT. Is there an easy workaround to this apart from only indexing? I would like to go fully DT and having effectively ‘duplicates’ of documents (one in DT one in Finder in case I need to email it) is not elegant.

Thanks

Andy

The 101 answer: Help > Documentation > In & Out > Achiving Emall > Replying and Sending

Hi Jim
I wasn’t asking about archiving. The question was: how do I attach a document to an email if the desired document has been stored in a database…how do I navigate through the internal structure? Or do I have to export it first?

Just use the context-menu (on the mouse right-click). There is a task for “send by e-mail”

Yay! Of course, thanks.
Also …Is there a way of doing it after the email has been started i.e using the Attach function in Mail and then navigating?

No, I think not. IN such a case I use the context menu, and then drag the attachement from the generated e-mail into the one I created before.

You can also use the “Show in finder” menu command and then attach from within the email client programme. It takes more steps than I would like but works reliably.

Thanks

I wasn’t asking about archiving. The question was: how do I attach a document to an email if the desired document has been stored in a database

I am aware of the question, and it’s what I was answering……

Sorry I see what you are saying. I’m on the basic DT so don’t have email archiving. I’ll read the manual around emails and archiving as that might be what I’m missing.

No worries!

Select the document in DEVONthink, ⌘C to copy, then paste it into the email message with ⌘V.

Attach doesn’t work because Mail cannot browse DEVONthink.

1 Like

Wow that works perfectly. Done.
…thanks korm

Yes. You drag the artifact out of the DT window onto your desktop. A copy is then saved to your desktop. You can then drag and drop that copy into your email.

Thanks.