Best alternative format for EPUB in DTTG

I have some ePub files stored in DT, and I assume they are indexed and searchable from outside the ePub itself in DTTG, but once found the wanted document, it is not opened nor searched inside.

Then I can convert those ePubs to another format, but I doubt what could be better to be used in DTTG:

• RTF: Not fully compatible with Windows, apart I don’t like it.
  • MD: Fine, but I doubt when the document will have images and how they will be seen in another devices and even in DTTG.
  • FN: I think this could be the best
  • Text: All format, images, etc is lost
  • PDF: As I have some ePub-to-PDF printouts (via Calibre), I prefer in this case other formats.

Any help/ideas are welcome.

ePub is basically HTML. So formatted note or HTML might be your best choice.

As to MD: How it appears is entirely determined by CSS. In that respect, it’s similar to HTML/FN (without the overhead of all the HTML elements).
OTOH, it’s probably near impossible to adopt an ePub CSS for MD.

And like HTML, MD does not “have” images (usually – FN is an exception in that it actually includes the images). It has links to images. If you keep those in the same DT group as the file, it should be easy to display images. Also in DTTG.

For other devices (read: MD previewers): It depends. In my opinion, having the MD document and its images in the same folder should work with well-behaved MD previewers. But I’d not use MD for any image-heavy stuff like art books. If those even exist as ePub.

For everything else, you’ve already found the pain points. While printing to PDF might work, that format does not reflow – which is one of the great advantages of ePub.

1 Like

I don’t know the current state of Calibre’s export, but in the past some of the PDFs it generated could be incompatible with Apple’s PDFKit.

Since Microsoft invented the RTF format, this surprises me a bit. (The incompatibility part, not the dislike.)

1 Like

If I remember well, Calibre developer conceded and made the adjustments to make it compatible with Preview. And playing a little bit with the conversion options, you can make interesting things, like the capture.

Ha!

RTF Win32 component has more bugs than any other RTF viewer/editor. Or had the last time I tried to do something with it.

After experimenting with this issue on a Calibre library of almost 40,000 volumes, I decided to allow Calibre to do what it does best: manage e-books of various flavors. With its ability to index book contents, the amazing attention to continuing updates from its creator, Kovid Goyal, and its reasonable cost (donations only), I’ve found no compelling reason to move my Calibre library into DT.

1 Like

Welcome abroad, @rxfelix.

I have a 109.500 books library in Calibre, mostly in Spanish. But I have others, not much, into DT/DTTG as I want those indexed, mostly reference ebooks.

As you say, each tool for what is has been created.

2 Likes

As Calibre also does full-text indexing of its books, the one advantage of using DT alone is a single search rather than searching two repositories. That doesn’t happen often enough that it’s annoying, and Calibre has its additional useful tools designed for e-books. While I’m new to DT, I’ve used Calibre for years and praise Mr. Goyal’s dedication to the project. I’m just a user, but I’ve sent him donations from time-to-time to show appreciation for his work.

I did move a large music library of about 3TB into DT. For years I used Media Monkey for Windows but had never found an adequate MacOS product to replace it. However, DT has been excellent for my uses, allowing me to group and view commercial albums and their songs, replicate specific songs into useful new groupings for practice, and integrate PDF sheet music and musical scores into appropriate song and album groups.