Best Practice for using two Macs

I am using Devonthink on my main Mac, but installed it also now on my second seat (Macbook). I can easily setup sync for my databases. Is there any best practice on how to sync settings? I’d like to change those settings only once.

Best Practice would be do as documented in the DEVONthink manual (same content as in Help). If both machines in the same local network, use Bonjour.

1 Like

You can check out this post as well…

OK, i was not precise enough. Data Sync is fine and I managed that also in the past. I am asking on DEVONthink settings itself. Such as Font Settings, Colors, Labels, Import Settings, etc.

Ahh… Not at this time, no you can’t sync preferences between machines. It’s technically possible to transfer the preferences between machines but there’s more than just a simple preference file involved. Allowing syncing preferenes between machines is on our list of potential future improvements.

2 Likes

Is there anywhere that documents how one might transfer the preferences? I’m working between three different machines at different locations – and I’d really, really like to get them all at least once on the same page in terms of DevonThink settings, now that my use habits are settling into place, and go from there.

Additional question if I can: I have had some success (with other programs) syncing preferences between systems by relocating the application preferences to a folder that is synced between them. Then I replace the original preference folders in ~/Library with symbolic links to the (now common) synced folder.

@BLUEFROG your comment “but there’s more than just a simple preference file involved” makes me wonder if this approach would not work with DEVONthink?

@cgrunenberg can offer his opinion but I would not move DEVONthink’s App Support folder and try to alias it like you’re considering. This is especially true as the folder houses the Global Inbox and our databases should not be placed in any cloud-synced location.

Also you are suggesting an unsupported and unusual setup which would also make things more difficult to troubleshoot in support.

1 Like

No, there is no such documentation as it’s not something we specifically support.
You could manually copy the preferences to other machines but you should only replace the file when DEVONthink isn’t running in the receiving machine.

1 Like

Actually I use aliases too due to multiple boot volumes but moving the Application Support folder to a cloud-based location is definitely not recommended. This might e.g. cause global inbox issues.