Big Sur Icon Style?

We have. And, as we have always done in the last almost twenty years, we will adjust to the new style. Maybe not with the very next update but we will.

3 Likes

I completely agree with all those here who would like to see a finely crafted Big Sur icon for DevonThink. It’s a necessary step to stay integrated into the MacOS ecosystem.

1 Like

I don’t use DT for aesthetics but I use macOS for it’s aesthetics. My computer is an environment I spend all day in and I want it to be beautiful and finely crafted, not some random assortment of interface ideas and executions. That’s WHY Apple has interface guidelines; to keep everything cohesive and nice. Without that, macOS would look like a junky dollar store. DT NEEDS to update their icon, or at least give users a choice.

1 Like

Welcome @Varen

Aesthetics are a purely subjective thing. I personally hate the look of Big Sur and it’s iOS-like icons. The interface looks childish and unprofessional to me. Does that make me right and your opinion wrong? Nope. It just means we each have our own opinion - subjectively.

PS: Apple has never fully followed their own Human Interface Guidelines.

2 Likes

Good point! That’s why my suggestion of offering users a choice might be the best way to go. Implementation could be as simple as offering an alternative icon on the site or a fancy like Panic Nova’s implementation.

1 Like

Development will have to assess the request but it is noted.
I’d personally prefer an option to keep the current icon instead of the one confined in the rounded rectangle. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I asked before for Big Sur icon, but actually I am now quite happy with how it was updated in 3.6 release
(It was just scaled to size of other Big Sur icon, the DT3 icon itself was modern enough from the start, little “neumorphic” even before new Apple design)

It’s actually still the same application icon, only the toolbar icons were updated for Big Sur.

2 Likes

Maybe it is just subjective perception, but after update to Big Sur the icon from 3.5 seemed to big in comparison to other icons, then I put custom icon, then I updated to 3.6 and the icon seems more aligned with the rest of dock icon and it’s look more as the same size (even if is not)

Thanks for the hint. It now looks great.!

1 Like

That’s funny… that’s been the main complain of some windows users regarding macOS.

1 Like

sorry not sorry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually the easiest tricks is to put th DT icon in the right context

The DT seems the same size as Safari, the Matlab icon is original , but with added blue gradient backround, because Matlab icons is bigger than standard one, the DT looks smaller, this way the DT and Matlab aren’t boring icons but they save their characteristics :slight_smile:

This is my take on the icon with a side-by-side comparison.

I have submitted it to macosicons if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Welcome @pryley

Thanks for sharing your take on this.

If it has to be a rounded rectangle why not take the iOS/iPadOS icon? It looks a lot more like the old and very fine DEVONthink icon than the actual, a bit generic one.

If it has to be a rounded rectangle why not take the iOS/iPadOS icon? It looks a lot more like the old and very fine DEVONthink icon than the actual, a bit generic one.

We considered it but with the new, all-flat style on iOS it actually looks already outdated on iOS too :roll_eyes:

That’s a subjective observation, but I agree :point_up:

Nice, I just downloaded this and have it in my dock. Well done.

I really like the new icon <3

1 Like