Boilerplate Date Handler

Many people want to process dates, e.g., for use in a filename. However, the correct format is often colloquial and up for debate.

Here is a little pure AppleScript routine that may be useful for producing a date in the desired format…

set theDateString to my createDate((current date)) -- Call the handler to create your date string
--> "2022-12-09"

-- Do stuff here, whatever your script calls for

-- Handlers
on createDate(theDate) -- Process Date
	set {year:y, day:d, month:m} to theDate -- Set variables for each date component
	set od to AppleScript's text item delimiters -- Cache the default text delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "-" -- Switch the delimiters to the desired value
	set dateString to {y, my zeropad(d), my zeropad(m as integer)} as string -- Create a string from the date components, zeropadded. Reorder the components, as desired.
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to od -- Reset the text item delimiters
	return dateString -- Pass the date string back to the script
end createDate

on zeropad(num) -- Add prefixing zero
	if num ≥ 10 then
		return num
	else
		return ("0" & num as string)
	end if
end zeropad
5 Likes

As I personally prefer as few lines as possible (makes it easier to few more code on the screen), I couldn’t resist to do a shorter version of your script:

on createDate(theDate) -- Process Date
	return (year of theDate as string) & "-" & my zeropad(day of theDate) & "-" & my zeropad(month of theDate as integer)
end createDate

if num ≥ 10 then return (num as string)
	return ("0" & num as string)
end zeropad

And soon @chrillek will probably provide an even shorter JavaScript revision :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This revision is even shorter but not really beautiful/obvious anymore:

return (characters -2 thru -1 of ("0" & num as string)) as string
end zeropad
2 Likes

Yes, but there are fewer concepts to learn from in yours :wink:

3 Likes

I think we can all agree that it isn’t yyyy-dd-mm :D:D

1 Like

Actually I had a support ticket recently and this exactly what they wanted. :person_shrugging:t2:

I’m surrounded by people who don’t want the right thing :laughing:

5 Likes

Taking the bait (but without any warranty since I’m away from my Mac). Unfortunately, it’s a no-brainer.

function createDate(date) {
return  date.toISOString();
}

This will convert a date to its ISO representation, including the time. If the time is not needed, the caller should remove everything after and including the „T“ in the string.

3 Likes

There’s also

on createDate(theDate) -- Process Date to yyyy-mm-dd
	return text 1 thru 10 of ((theDate) as «class isot» as string)
end createDate
4 Likes

Nice. But definitely not human readable for non-scripters and not easily customizable anymore.

2 Likes

Perhaps all these redundant return keywords are a little dysfunctional ?

After all, we’re just defining values … :slight_smile:

AppleScript

(characters -2 thru -1 of ("0" & num as string)) as string
end zeropad

JavaScript

let createDate = date =>
    date.toISOString()
    .slice(0, 16)
    .replace("T", " ");

createDate(new Date());

Though on reflection, we do need return if we wrap it up properly :blush:

(() => {
    "use strict";

const createDate = date =>
        date.toISOString()
        .slice(0, 16)
        .replace("T", " ");

return createDate(new Date());
})();

Given that @BLUEFROG’s AS implementation only returns the date, I’d go for

const createDate = date =>
        date.toISOString()
        .slice(0, 10);
1 Like

Weirdly this seems to be something that’s way easier in Shortcuts. There’s a built-in action “Format” which takes a format string. I just used it to set up a shortcut to add a new journal entry in Markdown to my journal entries folder.

1 Like

Yes, but there are just many other problems and inadequacies with Shortcuts :wink:

PS: You also learn nothing from it. The point of my post is a learning opportunity for those interested in scripting and dealing with a common inquiry.

3 Likes

I use the date functions on both a Mac (Applescript) and iPad (Shortcuts)
Not seeing the “weirdly…way easier”; both require a level of skill with the product
I’m aware that Shortcuts can be used on a Mac, but find it too limited for my use

I just used it to set up a shortcut to add a new journal entry in Markdown to my journal entries folder.

I use the shortcut with iPad shortcut to create DT notes, pre-coded with a filename date prefix
On the Mac, it’s an Applescript
I prefer formatted note (html) notes