Bonjour location offline

it equals the Mac with Bonjour enabled.

So, errā€”the help instructions say ā€œOn the other devices, enable the Mac with Bonjour enabledā€? I wouldnā€™t understand that if my life depended on it.

I donā€™t think weā€™re getting anywhere really. If you insist that the instructions are clear, thereā€™s nothing much I can add Iā€™m afraid.

Again, thanks for your help

No, just noting what the pronoun meant in this context. I will look at the verbiage. Cheers!

I know that this is an old post ā€¦ however ā€¦ I have noticed the same issue. After going through all of the trouble shooting steps below with no luck I discovered a possible reason.

Eureka Moment:

I have DTTG installed on both my iPhone and my iPad. I was continually being frustrated by the offline issue on both devices ā€¦ until I discovered that if the other device was syncing at the time DT would appear offline on the device I was looking at (that is it will only sync locally using one device at a time).

Yes one at a time but the one waiting will be patient.

1 Like

@rmschne is correct. Bonjour only allows one active connection at a time. Other devices queue up.

Hi Jim, question on this one: I have saved a bunch of things on DDTG on my iPad, but itā€™s not syncing to my Mac.

Iā€™m currently using iCloud CloudKit (trying to switch to Bonjour), but Iā€™m getting the a similar error message as described in this thread. It reads: ā€œThis database has not been downloaded completely to this device. Uploading it to a new sync location could cause problems if you havenā€™t uploaded it fully to the sync store already from another device."

Since to Mac location never had the contents of the files uploaded to DTTG from my iPad, Iā€™m hesitating to click ā€œProceed Anywayā€ because I donā€™t want to lose all of the files from the iPad.

Any recommendations here?

Why are you enabling Bonjour in DEVONthink To Go?

I am trying to use Bonjour as my sync method (with my Mac as the server) instead of iCloud CloudKit because Iā€™ve been having syncing issues for a while, and Iā€™ve received feedback from people using Bonjour that itā€™s much better.

Switching to Bonjour aside, Iā€™m trying to get the global inboxes to sync up so I can push the stuff on my iPad over to my Mac before attempting to switch. Iā€™ve tried doing that with iCloud, and that is the error message that Iā€™m getting.

Bonjour should be ā€œonā€ to accept incoming only on the Mac. ā€œoffā€ on any other device.

Ahh, thank you for the clarification. I have turned that off on the iPad now.

Only issue left is to make sure that what I have saved on iPad gets pushed to the Mac without getting deleted when I try to sync everything up.

Maybe itā€™s just wording, but ā€¦ ā€œsynchā€ is what makes the ā€œpushā€ from iPad to Mac (and visa versa). There are not two seperate processes.

Perhaps just re-read the setup instructions to check you did it correctly. And Bonjour Simplified might be useful. Both talk about turning Bonjour ā€œonā€ on only one device.

Iā€™m conflating two issues here, sorry for the confusion.

Right now, I am only using iCloud CloudKit for syncing (with the ultimate goal to move to Bonjour instead)

Here is my current issue:

• My iPad inbox does not match my Mac
  • I tried to turn off all syncing on my iPad, and then switch it back on
  • When I flipped the ā€œGlobal Inboxā€ switched back on, I got the error message below.
  • I donā€™t want to lose anything on my iPad, or on my Mac, so Iā€™m not sure the best way to proceed to get them synced up.

Youā€™re getting that message because youā€™re using a shallow sync.

Is DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go already synced with each other via a CloudKit sync?

Yes, but once I noticed the iPad was not syncing with the Mac, I tried to turn off the CloudKit sync on DTTG on the iPad, and then flip it back on. Thatā€™s when I got the error message.

Hint: One thing at a time. Youā€™re flipping too many switches at once.

If DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go have already synced via the CloudKit sync location, you can ignore the message and proceed since both have synced from that location.