Buying a scanner

I already own DT Pro 2.0. I want to go to a paperless office. I will need to upgrade to DT Office, which is fine by me. I see an option to upgrade for $70.00 which is fine, but I don’t see an option to upgrade with a scanner included.
I can just buy the upgrade for $70.00 and buy a scanner online elsewhere, but is there some special software that I would be missing if I don’t buy the scanner from Devon?

If it doesn’t matter, then I will just shop for the best price on the scanner.
Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I already have Devon Agent, if that matters.

Buy a ScanSnap, it is not cheap, but worths every penny in conjunction with DTPO

Agreed. I started out with a Canon flatbed scanner and it worked in DTPO, but it was so tedious/time consuming to scan, flip page, scan, add next document, scan, flip page, rinse and repeat. :slight_smile:

With the ScanSnap, it’s load the feeder, press a button and I’m done.

The extra cost of the scanner is realized in time saved very quickly. There are two models, the S300M and the S510M. Be sure to get the “M” model because that’s the one thing I don’t like about ScanSnap, their hardware only works with the OS it’s built for. My Mac ScanSnap won’t physically work with a PC. Yet my Canon scanner works with both Mac and PC.

You don’t lose anything by purchasing the scanner separately. I bought DevonThink… then upgraded to DTPO and bought the scanner from Amazon and all is good.

I just upgraded to DTPO2 the other day after buying a ScanSnap S300M scanner from tradescanners.com All I can say is “WOW” what an amazing little piece of kit this is. I’m in love with it :smiley:

Like harringg, I used to scan with a Canon flatbed scanner… and it was very tedious task doing so. I hated the weekends, as this was usually the time I would sit down and scan all the weeks documents with the flatbed.

Now, I actually look forward to scanning docs. I’m actually searching through my house… hunting for stuff to scan :laughing: . It’s so easy to load up a bunch of documents onto the ScanSnap and press a single “scan” button on it. Documents are all scanned nicely… straight into DT and OCR’d in the background. The OCR is amazing too.

DTPO2 and a ScanSnap is a VERY powerful combination indeed

Apparently you can get cross-platform functionalilty with Japanese drivers, as suggested in strider72’s Ironic Support Forum post.

So… Basically… The whole “M” deal is just a rip-off then?
Us Mac users are paying a premium for nothing really!

I’ll let you decide that. :wink:
I was simply pointing out a possible cross-platform contradiction I’d noticed, not speaking from direct product experience.

I have just bought a Scansnap S1500 and am blown away by it. I also simply bought the S1500 and it works perfectly with the Mac and even came with the correct drivers. I did have to download a Snow Leopard upgrade however you must have the previous drivers already installed. The only thing you do not get is Adobe Acrobat for Mac however I already had CS4 Suite so not an issue and save about $100. It also integrates flawlessly with Devonthink.

Simply Amazing! Simply Mac. Simple!

Hi folks

I see a lot of these postings here are quite old, and since technology advances almost at the speed of light, it’s quite possible that some of these recommendations are now redundant.

I’m a DTPO user (currently running 2.9.5) and am looking at some recommendations on a fast duplex scanner, OCR conversion and Ideally wireless. I’m not interested in a multi-functional device - printing is a thing of the past.

It’s for home/mini-office use, so I don’t need industrial strength with the matching price tag.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi. The best one I have ever used is Scansnap’s ix500.
amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap … s=scansnap

I am currently using Epson stuff (long story). In almost every respect it meets or exceeds the Scansnap. And, it is 100 dollars less. But, I really don’t like the software as much as Fujitsu’s.
amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce- … nner+ds560

I imagine anything by these two companies would be fantastic, though the less money you spend, the lower your expectations should be. It depends on how much you value quality and ease of use. These things last forever, and it might be many, many years before I need to buy another one. By the way, I tend to scan tens / hundreds of pages a day (researcher / professor) and I am 99.9% paperless – the sole exceptions are a few manilla folders with my passport and other things that have to be kept in paper form.

As for DT, I scan, OCR with Adobe Acrobat Pro (DT will do the OCR for you, so no need to purchase this software), give the file a name, move it into an “unsorted” folder indexed by DT, and then have DT sort it into the correct folder / group using its AI. It sounds tedious, I guess, but it works for me. A Hazel rule would speed things up, or you could just save scans directly into an indexed folder to automate things.

Wonderful. Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I suppose it also depends on whether you want to scan loose sheets or bound materials. Most of what I scan is bound material, so I use Scansnap SV600. You can’t shove a book into the other ones.

Declan

It’s pretty easy to shove a book the other ones if you cut off its spine first. Some of the information here is a bit outdated, but the dead-tree book-scanning section might be useful.
christopher-mayo.com/120928_cracked_pot.pdf

i also recommend the sv600 as well for books that you can’t de-spine.
christopher-mayo.com/?p=2922

The Fujitsu SV600 is a very capable scanner for scanning bound copy such as books and journals. But it’s decidedly not portable. For a long time I wished for the ability to scan bound copy in a pubic or university library. I tried cameras, iPhone (with & without a stand - Scanner Pro is a pretty good app), but the process was cumbersome and results were not consistent.

A couple of years ago I was sent a Xcanex portable book scanner to evaluate. It’s tiny and light (7 ounces) without its stand and can be affixed to a laptop screen, so is truly portable. I’ve taken it to libraries several times and it got the job of capturing book pages (usually a chapter or two) done quickly. The current software is much better than the version of 2 years ago, and with a little learning curve (there are good video tutorials) quite professional-looking copies of book pages are possible. On a fast computer, scans and image processing is quick. The tutorial videos were made using Mac laptops with Boot Camp installations of Windows, which easily run the scans and image processing. Several of the tutorial videos were made on a MacBook Air, and my MacBook Pro with 4-core i7 CPU runs even more quickly. A number of Windows users with older PCs experience slow performance.

The downside is that Mac software isn’t yet available. I hate Windows, but installed Windows 7 to allow use of the Xcanex with my MacBook Pro. Although the Xcanex software can run under Parallels, I was advised that it would be slower than a BootCamp installation of Windows, so I went Boot Camp.

I can’t really recommend the Xcanex to DEVONthink users until solid Mac software becomes available. Mac development has been on and off at times. However, the latest news is that it’s on again, and PiQx imaging (a Singapore company) says basic scanning functions have finally been achieved under Mac OS X and development of additional features is underway, perhaps with features not currently available in the Windows version. Target is December 2016 or sometime in 2017. My fingers are crossed. :slight_smile:

For those who are curious, see the Xcanex scanner on the Amazon site, or the videos on the PiQx site at piqximaging.com/xcanex