Can a Reminder Initiate a Smart Rule

Is it possible for a Reminder to initiate execution of a smart rule, with the ability of that smart rule to perform actions on the underlying document attached to the reminder?

Yes, by using the perform smart rule command as noted in the AppleScript dictionary.

1 Like

Much appreciated

Actually the trigger On Reminder should be sufficient.

I was pondering that. but it seems to me that the “On Reminder” works best if I want the smart rule to apply to a set of documents meeting search criteria. If I wanted the reminder about one specific document, then using “On Reminder” I would need to create some sort of unique search criteria - and if that criteria involved the document name, then if I edited the document name the trigger would no longer work.

Or am I missing something?

This depends on the number of reminders and the number of both items & reminders the smart rule would process. See e.g. the generic “Reminders” default smart rule.

1 Like

Is it possible to configure a reminder to e.g. to weekly remind me about existence of a smart rule in DT?

Explanation: I have a set of banking documents which are processed by DT but before that I need to manually import them into a financial application for tracking. I would like to be able to configure a reminder (e.g. send email) while configuring a smart rule, to actually remind me about existence of that smart rule (i.e. this reminder is not triggering the rule but just triggers my memory). Maybe there is some smart trick to do that? Ideally when clicking a smart rule, it would be cool to be able to use the Reminders inspector pane.

That sounds confusing :thinking:

I would like to be able to configure a reminder (e.g. send email) while configuring a smart rule, to actually remind me about existence of that smart rule (i.e. this reminder is not triggering the rule but just triggers my memory). Maybe there is some smart trick to do that?

A list of smart rules aren’t accessible via direct scripting. It may be possible to read the property list in a script.

When i select a smart rule (after it is configured), I can access the inspector - but obviously today it is not usable for smart rules.

Not even a generic one (why actually not show name, date, etc in here for a smart rule?)

But I am concerned with reminders. I would like to be able to use Reminders inspector for a smart rule - i.e. treating smart rule as any other item in DT3 allowing to create reminders on top of it to remind me about their existence. With 10s of smart rules, not having a proper folder structure, it is a bit of a challenge to navigate that tree in the UI. Some require manual fire-off - and human memory is not that great for that. Reminders would solve that.