Can we manipulate rich text records with iOS shortcut?

Based on my experience, the DTTG shortcut actions for now can only create or update records of plaintext documents. Am I missing anything here? I really want to create documents with both images and formatted texts in DTTG with shortcut.

Creating rich text is not supported in DEVONthink To Go’s Shortcuts actions.
It may be possible to create an HTML file, but there is nothing specifically built in.

Markdown is definitely supported and I posted a Shortcut on our blog here…

Wow, that’s a really useful Shortcut. However, I still refrain from Markdown format for lightweight use, especially for collecting information, which is my most usecases with Shortcuts. I mean, if I create a record in Global Inbox with Shortcuts, I will surely file it elsewhere later. But the image files referenced in the Markdown file will cause extra trouble in that process.

I recall you mentioned somewhere in the forum about your Markdown writing workflow, but sadly I’ve forgetten the details. Do you store all your images in the Inbox database or do you keep images files in the same datases as the parent Markdown files?

There is another reason that stops me from being fully committed to Markdown. In DTTG, Markdown files still doesn’t remember your reading progress. It seems that only plaintext files support that? That said, can you please make this a feature request: keep reading progress for more text-based file types, to keep up with what DEVONthink can do? @BLUEFROG

I segregate my Markdown files and their resources in their own independent groups, similar to how web sites were commonly built.

That said, can you please make this a feature request: keep reading progress for more text-based file types, to keep up with what DEVONthink can do?

The request is noted.

1 Like

That’s inspirational! So for each note, you will create a folder with predefined structure (possibly with templates in DEVONthink? but that would take a little more effort in DTTG…). I notice the style folder is empty. Is that there in case you sometimes wanna try something different from the default style?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, the style group is where I’d put my CSS file.

Here’s something for you…

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9d2a76ca4fb648379f53ee0df1929070

1 Like

I’ve checked this one and it’s really considerate of you!

Does it work well for you?

Certainly. I’ve also tailored it a bit to make it handier for me, e.g. automatically create a blank index.md file in top group as wel and open it for writing. Since I am relevantly new to this “Markdown group” idea, I think I need to use it for a while before telling if it really suits me. One thing I can’t get used now to is that I have to go down one more level before I can see the real note (the .md file) .

Glad it’s semi-useful for you. :slight_smile:

I’ve added this topic to a list of feature requests regarding Shortcuts I’ve setup previously:

1 Like