List of feature requests for iOS (and future macOS) Shortcut actions

Now that Apple has announced the incorporation of Shortcuts in macOS, I wouldn’t be surprised the popularity of Shortcuts will grow in the coming years. If you’re interested in the background of their development choices, episode 592 of this podcast features one of Apple’s employees who further explains Shortcuts for macOS at approximately 39 minutes into the show. (And don’t worry: Applescript will still be supported in macOS as is explained at 49 minutes).

Luckily for the DTTG users, version 3 brought Shortcuts integration. The actions provided are already great and can save you considerable time, but of course in time you’ll find yourself in a situation where the existing shortcuts or their options don’t fit your need. I’ve therefore previously gathered some suggestions made by me and others and summarized them for @eboehnisch and @aedwards.

My question to all other users would be to extend this list, so we can create a ‘living’ document that can serve as a source of inspiration for future development.

Of course it’s up to the DT staff to prioritize and decide whether or not a feature can and will be added. And I imagine some request undoubtedly will require much more development time and effort than others for example. (And DTTG development is not only about Shortcuts integration of course :grinning:)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

DTTG suggestions (in random order):

1 Update sheet records:
Is it possible to update a sheet record in DTTG with Shortcuts?

2 Disable confirmation dialog
Confirmation dialog using DTTG Shortcuts actions

3 Tag using Shortcuts
Tagging in Shortcuts

4 Disable default ‘Show while running’
Request: can the “Show while running” button be set to disabled by default in DTTG Shortcuts actions?

5 Add the UUID when sharing to Shortcuts
No UUID passed on to Shortcuts?

6 Add ‘convert to searchable PDF’ (OCR) as shortcut action
iOS: PDF Photos in DTTG instead of JPG

7 Create or update records of rich text documents
create or update records of rich text documents

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions.

1 Like

I almost forgot why I started this thread, but here’s another suggestion:

Add ‘convert to searchable PDF’ (OCR) as shortcut action

2 Likes

create or update records of rich text documents

1 Like

A big +1 to this request. The OCR feature in DTtg is very powerful but not conveniently accessed from within an automated workflow.

A ‘Convert Item’ function, including convert to searchable PDF, here would be a great addition:

1 Like

Welcome @P12

Thanks for your vote on this. No promise on the when but we are considering this kind of Shortcut action.

Move item or Destination — instead of x-devonthink://x-callback-url/update?uuid=&destination=

As a separate action, or within this action:

Possibility to use variables for Tags in Create and Update actions.

Now possible to use only predefined Tags.

1 Like

Just as tags are a list in DEVONthink, tags can be created by using a list in DEVONthink To Go.

2 Likes

Jim, any way for me to update the first post in this thread again? I would like to curate the list of suggestions (if the action isn’t possible yet and thus can be considered a request).

It seems Discourse locks me out of editing after a certain couple of weeks (which makes sense for most threads)

I’ll see what I can do.

I’ve added your request to get the current item to this list @Igor_B.

(I’m afraid I can no longer edit the original post at the top, unless @BLUEFROG finds a way to reset the edit rights of that post in Discourse somehow).

1 Like

@Solar-Glare, I support your idea, and wish @BLUEFROG made something for the curating.

Personally me think about list of shortcust. I have a collection of working shortcuts for DTTG, and would like to share.

2 Likes

I’m not sure whether it is possible for @BLUEFROG to do that. I’ve searched on the Discourse forum that unsurprisingly uses Discourse as well and appropriately is called Metadiscourse :grinning:

I found several discussions regarding the possibility for users to edit older posts.

One mentioned suggestion was the use of a wiki, another was setting the time-out to an unlimited re-editing time (which obviously has it’s drawbacks as well).

Action “Imprint”.

With custom metadata :slight_smile:

Imprint + custom metadata is the only difference between DEVONthink Pro and DTTG for my work.

“Update Content” action — add option “Insert into N line”, where “N” is line number.

“N” can be a variable.

For instance, we have registrys (lists) of documents. We add new records for new docs on top of a table.

With the option, a user would be able to add new text (lines) to either top of file, or any line of text, or end of text.

“Get the items in the group” action

Add options

• Files only
  • Groups only
  • Exclude hidden items
  • Sort by …