Cannot enable Apple Mail plugin: "Incompatible Plugin"

DEVONthink actually doesn’t use this folder, the plug-in is always installed in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles. The latest versions of Mail copy it to ~/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users/username/Library/Bundles on their own after enabling it in the preferences.

That’s what I mean; Mail couldn’t overwrite it (which is why DT can’t report any error, DT isn’t involved in that step), and therefore sticks with the old plugin which is already at that location.

1 Like

I don’t understand most of this conversation, but I only import the occasional email through the option within DT so I think from what you’re saying here I’m fine to just keep ignoring the error message. Most my emails I export as a PDF instead as I like that format more :slight_smile:

From the DEVONthink 3.8 Documentation, page 57:

DEVONthink communicates with your email application using either AppleScript or, if you are using Apple Mail, through a special plugin that implements a direct link between Mail and DEVONthink. […] In addition to speeding up the transfer of email messages from Apple Mail to DEVONthink, the plugin adds an Add to DEVONthink 3 command to the Mailbox and Message menus of Apple Mail. This allows you to directly archive selected messages or mailboxes to your DEVONthink database while inside Mail.

So whilst the error message is telling you that the plugin does not work, the plugin is not essential for communication between Mail and DT, although it should be more reliable in general.

1 Like

Sorry. I didn’t receive notifications on new postings here.

@cgrunenberg: I use macOS 12.1 (not 12.2) on an Intel MacBook.

I still don’t see any DEVONthink_BigSur.mailbundle in any of my folders.

The folders in ~/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users/MYUSER/… have MYUSER as owner. The folders in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles have system as owner.

Any additional idea what I should try? Thanks a lot!

I have to repeat myself - that means the plugin is currently not installed; you mentioned further up that when you do then install, you get the error message mentioned by the OP.

If DT is offering to install plugin v. 4.0.5 then that plugin is currently not installed. Doing so is the first step, and then we can take it from there.

I can’t tell you how many times I tried. See screenshots attached. Mail preferences show me the Bundle ready to activate. But it doesn’t complete activation.

If I check the folders I can’t find the bundle there to remove it manually.

DT-Mail-Plugin_1
DT-Mail-Plugin_2
DT-Mail-Plugin_3
DT-Mail-Plugin_4
DT-Mail-Plugin_5a

Thanks for the detailed information with screenshots. Before you activate the plug-in, could you please select show in Finder from the context menu of the plug-in, and see where it has been installed to? At the same time, please check to see the version or modification date of the plug-in at that point.

Problem solved!

I got lost between all the Library, Mail and Bundles folders. Following the context menu I found the right bundle. I deleted it and everything works.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue on latest versions of Big Sur and DT Pro. DT installs the bundle, I see it in the Library folder, but Mail does not recognize it. It doesn’t appear anywhere within the Mail interface, including the Extensions preference pane. It used to work fine for me, but broke with one of the recent OS updates.

Does DT have Full Disk Access at the point in time you install the plug-in?

Yes.

This worked for me: go to /Library/Mail/Bundles, and trash Devonthink mailbundles in Bundles (Disabled) folders. keep only BigSur.mailbundle. Restart computer; relaunch Devonthink 3 and BigSur.mailbundle will work, even on Monterey.

TY. This worked for me after migrating to a new MBP. I skipped the delete or rename directory part, but renamed the file only with a prefix of old - (etc). worked fine.

Welcome @uilliam

Glad you have it working and yes, the bundle’s name is of no consequence to its operation.

@Mrobards

Glad to hear it’s working for you as well :slight_smile:

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. :wink:

My laptop didn’t have the long path version of the bundle. The short path was there. I deleted it, reinstalled the plugin, and all’s well.

2 Likes

The latest Ventura upgrade with Mail 16.0 caused this problem again. Following this step-by-step fixed it for me! Thank you!

BTW, used something similar to get my BusyContacts plug-in to work again too! LOL

1 Like