Can't succeed in blocking Ads

Although I have activated in DA preferences the Web content options “Block ads” and “Block pop-up” and deactivated the Images options related to the pictures animation, I am permanently invaded by the advertising advertisements. In addition to the disturbance, this causes a big increase of CPU consumption (PPC in my case).
I have activated similar preferences in the browsers Safari (3.11) and Camino (1.6) and both behave more properly than DA. Safari displays some AD feedback but blocks the animation while Camino succeeds in removing totally any kind of AD.
Should you have an idea to make so that DA behaves in accordance with the preferences parameters, just share it here :slight_smile:.

Ooops !
This could be a good example to compare the behavior of the three browsers http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080418105429812.
Ooops again !
My DA version is 2.3.

Up ! I allow myself to restart this topic. Any advice or additional info appreciated :confused:

I’ve got all the options checked in DA Preferences > Web - Web Content.

I don’t have a problem with ads.

Note that also in DA Preferences > Web Content - Images one can turn off animation and animation looping if desired, although those options are checked on my computer.

I’ve got Preferences > Web - Accept Cookies set to only accept cookies from sites that I choose to visit.

Thank you for your answer.
I have got exactly the same DA preferences (Web content + Cookies) set up and I confirm that, in my case, they are not efficient to block ads.
If you test DA and Camino (both set up to block ads) with the URL listed above, you should notice in DA the ads window displayed in the right part of the screen while it is not in Camino.
In addition, I tested other sites with publicities and, in all cases, DA does not succeed in blocking those while Camino plays a flawless game.
Strange to get this unexpected bad performance of DA whereas this protective feature is part of it :frowning:.

As a last resort, you might try copying and pasting the contents of this file into your /etc/hosts file. In other words, copy all, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal , type ```

sudo pico -w /etc/hosts

It'll replace all the ads with 404 errors, but at least it won't slow your machine.  It's kind of a ghetto solution, but it works.

Thank you for having taken some time to answer.
Frankly, I am a bit apprehensive with the idea of installing on my main machine such a file whose I do not know exactly the role nor the behavior. As far as I understand it would behave as a kind of “extension” of the DNS servers of my Internet provider. Wouldn’t it?
As I am generally a careful guy, I guess I’ll test it first on a sand box volume. Anyway, many thanks for helping and having provided me with this workaround. :slight_smile:

In spite of Bill’s effort, I would have expected more interest and investigation from the Devon team whose paying software DA, in this specific case, does not behave as it should. :frowning:

Christophe, perhaps we’ve not been talking about the same thing.

I’ve been talking about the prevention of popup ads, which works very well for me in DEVONagent.

Were you talking about the existence of embedded ads on Web pages? DEVONagent doesn’t remove those. In the past, with other browsers, I’ve tried utilities that prevent downloading of embedded ads. I was never satisfied with their performance, and found that some of them created operating system errors.

I’ve captured many thousands of documents into my DT Pro Office databases from Web pages. My preference is to select the text and images from a page as a rich text note. So I’m not bothered by extraneous materials such as ads and unrelated text. That also improves the focus of searches and See Also in my database – I think that more than justifies the added time it takes to select only the material I wish to capture. DEVONagent provides a contextual menu option to send selected content to my database. Only very rarely will I capture a page as HTML or WebArchive.

I can understand your apprehension.

It’s not entirely an extension to DNS servers. It’s more of a “blacklist,” but instead of telling your computer that you want to completely ignore certain sites (which, sadly, seems to be impossible), it simply says “treat all of these sites as if they were hosted on my local computer.”

So instead of requesting yourcomputer/xxx/some_vacant_bimbo.jpg. Since you don’t have that file on your website (I assume you don’t), the familiar 404 Error will pop up in the place on the page where ordinarily you’d see some vacant bimbo showing her talents. Safe For Work and fast and doesn’t break the page layout, but still ugly and a little ghetto.

Of course, if you have any problems, all you have to do is ```

sudo pico -w /etc/hosts

and remove the offending line or lines. Or you can count the number of lines you started out with (10-15) and type

sudo head -15 /etc/hosts > /etc/hosts.orig

which will recreate your original file as /etc/hosts.orig and type

sudo mv /etc/hosts.orig /etc/hosts

So it's completely undoable, but I've been using it for a couple months and haven't had any problems.

Yes, Bill, I am talking about “embedded ads on Web pages” (often developped in Flash). As they are blocked very properly by other browsers, I have been wondering whether DA browser was able to do the same. Especially because there are dedicated parameters in DA preferences, such as 1° Block pop-up and 2° Block ads. Unfortunately It seems that this last one is not operating.
That’s not a big deal but I am a regular user of the search feature of DA and, in addition, I would have appreciated having in DA a fully protective browser as well. That’s not the case, for time being.
Anyway, thanks for your generous contribution.

@kalisphoenix
Wow, wow ! Here also, what a generous contribution.
I have tested this very detailed step-by-step procedure on a sand box system and, at the end, it works perfectly well. As far as I see, no longer invasive commercial ads. And that will make my digital life more quite, more peaceful and more pleasant.
I’ll bookmark the “troubleshooting guide” site and will check, from time to time, whether the blacklist file evolved.
Again, many thanks for this so efficient and teaching support :wink:.

DEVONagent/think use the WebKit’s pop-up blocker and therefore the behaviour is probably identical to Safari. However, DEVONagent/think also feature a filter for inline advertisements (“AdSense” & Co) but none for banners.

You are right Christian. On that specific point, Safari offers less protection than DA and DA offers less protection than Camino.
I do not know whether this comes from Webkit limitations or Gecko advanced features, but it would really be a plus to have this kind of protection available in any Internet browser. Especially in case of DA and DT which, by nature, are dedicated to the office productivity.
May be a possible new feature :question:
Thank you to have answered.