Capture from Apple Mail to DTTG3

Can I capture an email from Apple Mail on iPadOS 14.4?

Yes. Just drag & drop from mail to DTTG3

And using a split screen to do this :point_up_2: is definitely the easiest way to do this.

Open DTTG3 beside Apple Mail and drag the email from Mail over to DTTG3 and bingo! It works nicely.

Welcome @bt4jc

Indeed it does. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’ve only got access to an iOS device, that’s true I guess.

But if you happen to have DT as well, you can use mail rules in macOS to automatically import mails into DT and as a bonus you can simultaneously add a hyperlink to the corresponding email in Mail with this script @BLUEFROG kindly created:

The beauty of that script is that the links to those e-mails also work in iOS or iPadOS Mail as long as you setup the same mail account you use on macOS on those iOS devices.

So when I now receive an e-mail, it is automatically imported into DT, and when I want to reply to that mail I can simply click the hyperlink to open that specific email on any device using either iOS Mail or macOS Mail.

2 Likes

Dragging and dropping emails from Mail to DTTG3 on the iPad also creates a hyperlink back to the dragged email.

Actually, drag and drop from Apple Mail into DEVONthink To Go will import a copy of the email.

I was referencing Solar-Glare’s comment that the AppleScript on the desktop to import Mails had a bonus of creating a backlink, so I was clarifying that D&D on the iPad also had this “bonus” in addition to importing a copy of the email.

Got it.
Cheers!

Right, the word ‘bonus’ is indeed confusing as a link is also created with drag and drop. I’ll strike through the word bonus in that reply.

I mentioned mail rules as dragging and dropping on an iOS device isn’t automatic obviously. That can be achieved with the mail rule and the script creates a link that apparently also works on iOS devices.