Change Date Added

I’m sure I’m asking about something easy… but can’t seem to put my finger on the answer. I have a folder that I’m filling with miscellaneous documents everyday. I want the documents to flow as a timeline… so I’m sorting them by “date added.” Sometimes I need to add or insert a document earlier in the timeline (i.e., it reflects yesterday’s date instead of today’s) so I need to change the date added. But I can’t seem to do it.

The date added is grayed out in the document information… I’ve been hunting all over Devonthink for the tool or rule that will allow me to do this but have come up short. Under “Customize Metadata” I have all the categories checked, including “Date Added,” which I thought would solve the problem but doesn’t.

This date can’t be customized as is database-specific (necessary for the synchronization).

Okay, Thanks for the answer. I guess I’ll try working with the Creation Date.

You could also use a custom date. A smart rule could be used to copy the addition date to this date automatically.

This aspect of Devonthink is new to me so I appreciate the suggestion. I’ll give that a try. I need to find a way to do it quickly whenever a document is placed within the file.

E.g. like this:

Great! Thanks for the instructions. Many of these documents are created new within the file. Would I need a special script to add the special date to them?

Simply dropping the existing documents onto this smart rule in the sidebar is sufficient, this will change the custom date of the dropped items.