change font & preserve formatting

when i change font in DTPO in rich text, all formatting is gone: no more italics, bold etc.
is there a way to preserve formatted text while changing the font?

Some fonts do not support typefaces such as italics, bold, etc. If you change your bold text to a font that does not support bold, then the bolding will be lost and cannot be regained. This result has nothing to do with DEVONthink – it depends on the font chosen and the loss of bolding, or other typeface, would occur in any rich text editor. For example, if you were to use the Monaco face all you will ever get is the “regular” typeface – no bold, no italic, etc.

Open the Font Picker (usually by pressing ⌘T) and you can browse the fonts on your system and see which typefaces your fonts support.

thank you very much! now i know what’s the problem:

if i select all text, then press cmd+T and change font = everything’s ok
but
if i select all text, then use saved style (let’s say: font arial, size 14, justified text) to change the font = i loose bold, italics…
but that is not big problem

The saved style probably is using Arial regular, which is why the bolding, italics, etc., disappears when you apply that style to your text.

yes, you’re right
there is no option in custom styles just to use arial, and not arial regular

May I ask you guys a question about Styles?

It is a very basic question, but I have been unable to answer even after extensive searching in these forums, the DTP manual, and using Google.

How do I create a custom Style?

This should be obvious just from the DTP UI, but I can’t find it.
Creation/changing/management of styles is very obvious and easy in all of the MS apps like Word and Excel. Perhaps I’m expected too much here.

TIA for your help. Sorry for the obvious newbie question.
My apologies if this has already been answered in another thread. Just point me to the thread and I’ll get out of your way.

@korm:

If you were responding to my question, I thank you.

Unfortunately, I have already been to that movie, and I know how it turns out.
I went through that very process, but at no time did I see an option to CREATE a new style.
Perhaps I missed something. But I’m still looking.

Thanks again.

Any app that uses the OSX ruler in a rich text editor creates styles the same way. You set margins, fonts, tabs , etc., in your document. Select that text. Click “Other” in the “Style” dropdown. Click “Add to favorites”. Assign a name. OSX makes a style created in one app available to all apps that use TextKit (i.e., the ruler). In Yosemite I find it easier to make styles using TextEdit. The styles I make there are instantly available in DEVONthink.

This is kind of an OSX 101 process and is not at all specific to DEVONthink … sorry, but I figured the screenshots would be sufficient since the controls shown are the same in other editors as they are in DEVONthink. There are lots of more detailed tutorials sprinkled around Apple.com and elsewhere.

This is a primative, limited process. Not at all comparable to inspectors (Pages, Nisus Writer, and others) or Office’s Styles.

korm, many thanks for your detailed and very clear explanation of how to create Styles.

I apologize for asking a “OSX 101” question. Understanding how “Mac OS X Styles Editor” (as called out in the DT User Manual) may be something most Mac users learn early on. But, although I’ve been using a Mac for over 5 years now, I had never ran across “Mac OS X Styles Editor” before. I guess this is primarily because I’ve never used the Apple TextEdit app as a word processor – I’ve always use MS Word. Other apps like Evernote that I’ve used also don’t use Mac Styles (I wish it did). So I never had an occasion to learn about Mac Styles until I started using DTP.

One interesting point. I had previously (before my question below) done extensive Google search on “Mac OS X Styles Editor” and similar, and really turned up nothing that really helped. Do you have a blog? If so, maybe you should publish your excellent write on Styles to help future DT newbies like me so we don’t waste forum space.

Thanks again korm. Although this is basic, it was a major distraction for me.

When it comes to OS X styles, be careful what you wish for :laughing: Personally, I avoid this corner of OS X and use Word, too.