Change the size of a encrypted database?

Thank you :slight_smile:

I already sent a support ticket but will post here too just in case anyone else has the same problem. I am having a similar problem as the original poster. I filled up my encrypted database to capacity and now it is full of inconsistencies, missing, and orphaned files, and in read-only mode. I canā€™t do rebuild or restore from backup and I canā€™t do a manual rebuild because I canā€™t copy the backup in the database as the operation is explained in the help files.
So I tried to resize it as you suggest and it says it can not be resized. Although I tried for another test one and it was resized successfully.
Is there anything else I can do to resize or rebuild the database?

OK I figured it out.

But there are some lessons to learn from this.
The instructions were not clear in the help files that I had to copy the backup folder to another separate location outside the disk image .dtsparse then copying the index folder and then rename it to something and .dtBase2.
Also would be nice to know that filling up an encrypted database would cause such problems. I know now that I also need to make backups everyday or hour of the databases manually and use time machine with an external drive or cloud storage to backup hourly.

It would be nice to get a warning when an operation would fill up the image before it happens.
And I know now that I have to do backups before and after major changes to the database, but it would be great if that happened automatically or at least be suggested before making changes or potentially filling up a limited encrypted database.
Also would be great if I read more of the manuals and guides before I started using DEVONthink more and relying on it more, but I procrastinate a lot.
I did lose a lot of changes I made but at least I have my files back mostly out of read only mode and restored my database, even though it is not encrypted anymore I assume.

Also it would be nice to see how much space is available in the encrypted database and get warnings when it is almost full.
Those are some lessons I learned and maybe some ways to improve the UX for others using Encrypted databases.
I think it might be easier not to encrypt. But I donā€™t want unencrypted files in cloud storage so Iā€™ll need a solution to that.
Do encrypted databases have more risks of getting corrupted?
And it seems you canā€™t change the size of an dtsparse image that has major file errors.

You should actually get a warning (see Windows > Log), which version do you use?

The database encryption is just a local one, sync stores can have their optional encryption.

Any downsides to just choosing something like 10TB for each new encrypted database, since, as far as I understand it, they do not consume any more space than what the contents do?

Welcome @anders

Not this is not suggested unless itā€™s what you actually anticipate as the maximum database size and have the disk space available to accommodate it.

Make it a reasonable maximum with some overage for unexpected growth. Typically, 10-20% is useful for the expansion.

The typical developer recommendation would be to estimate, round up vigorously and then double :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks!

What are the actual drawbacks though? I did some quick googlingā€”not for the specifics of how DEVONthink deals with sparse images, but only for sparse images in generalā€”and could not find any useful information about possible drawbacks to making your sparse images arbitrarily large.

Indeed. To take a real life scenario: when the pandemic hit, academia moved to online seminars and in many cases I suddenly did not store only the slides from a seminar (typical size ā‰ˆ 1MB), but also the recording of the seminar (typical size ā‰ˆ 100MB).