Changed text color after upgrading to Big Sur

I didn’t realize it was the major upgrade or I probably would have waited, but in any case, I’m using Dark Mode on my Mac, and the text in my notes was previously white on black. After upgrading, my text turned black. Is there any way to change that for all notes? I didn’t see a way to do it.

(I changed to Light Mode for the time being, then I can read the text)

I should add, in Prefs/Editing, it lists Plain Text Font as a Black background with White text, but that’s not what it shows

Although I don’t know why a macOS update should change colors you could take a look at DEVONthink’s Preferences > Editing and try to change them.

Seriously?

I edited my post, I did check that, for some reason it shows White text but is not appearing that way.

Is Use dark background for documents enabled in Preferences > General > Appearance?

It was, I unchecked it and then I have a white background for notes with black text with the rest in Dark Mode. Editing still says black background with white text, it’s not changing if I change that color.

I’ll leave it this way for now.

Thanks

I thought of changing the Colors in Preferences > Editing afterwards to see if that helps.

FWIW here’s a script that toggles preference “Use dark background for documents”. I use it as a toolbar script. Works fine in DEVONthink 3.5.2

-- Toggle preference "Use dark background for documents"

activate application id "DNtp"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "DEVONthink 3"
		click menu item 5 of menu 1 of menu bar item 2 of menu bar 1
		delay 0.4
		click button 1 of toolbar 1 of window 1
		click radio button 2 of tab group 1 of window 1
		click checkbox 7 of tab group 1 of window 1
		click button 1 of window 1
	end tell
end tell

1 Like

It’s a known glitch on Big Sur due to revised APIs, the upcoming maintenance release will fix this. In the meantime you could either disable dark mode or disable dark background of documents.

1 Like

OK thanks

I modified the code for DT 3.8

activate application id "DNtp"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "DEVONthink 3"
		click menu item 5 of menu 1 of menu bar item 2 of menu bar 1
		delay 0.4
		click button 1 of toolbar 1 of window 1
		click radio button 3 of tab group 1 of window 1
		click checkbox 7 of tab group 1 of window 1
		click button 1 of window 1
	end tell
end tell
1 Like

Thank you!

Wondering why I used UI scripting and now tried again via do shell script:

-- Toggle preference "Use dark background for documents" (via do shell script)

if (do shell script "defaults read com.devon-technologies.think3 DarkDokumentsStyleEnabled") = "0" then
	do shell script "defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 DarkDokumentsStyleEnabled -bool true"
else
	do shell script "defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 DarkDokumentsStyleEnabled -bool false"
end if

The problem with this is that the change isn’t immediately visible for the selected record. One first has to re-select the record which is a bit confusing. So UI scripting is probably still the better way to toggle that preference.