Changing screen capture location.

I tried to change the screen capture location on a late 2012 iMac per the instructions in one of your tips.

I paste this into Terminal: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/

Terminal responds with: Unexpected argument Support/DEVONthink; leaving defaults unchanged.

Anyone know what kind of stupid mistake I’m making?

Thanks in advance
Charles Lane

Try

~/Library/Application\ Support/DEVONthink\ Pro\ 2/Inbox

Terminal does not accept spaces in folder names without escaping the space character, which is what backslash-space does.

Thanks! That worked. Someone at DEVONthink might want to change that string in the instructions. They read:

Send screenshots directly to your inbox

If you make screenshots and find yourself dragging them to DEVONthink Pro or ProOffice every time, here’s a shortcut for you: You can change the Finder’s location for screenshots to any folder you like. Change this to the Inbox folder and the picture is imported immediately or at least as soon as DEVONthink Pro (Office) is being opened. Follow the linked description and set the location for new screenshots to "~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/” (without the quotes). Done.

dreevoo.com/content.php?id=620

Regards,
Charles Lane

You missed the quotes. What korm suggested is fine (escaping the spaces) but what you posted clearly shows the double quotes that would have worked in the Terminal command.

Actually, if you look at the instructions…

Follow the linked description and set the location for new screenshots to "~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/” (without the quotes). Done.

….it clearly says (without the quotes).

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

Regards,
Charles Lane

The ~ (tilde) character doesn’t expand inside quotes but the $HOME variable does so this pathname will work with the double-quotes that “escape” the spaces:

"$HOME/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/"

Actually, as BLUEFROG said, this works: "~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/” using the quotes. All I’m saying is, it still reads wrong in the instructions because it tells you NOT to use the quotes. I just looked and that still hasn’t changed.

Regards,
Charles Lane

Can you direct them where to find the error? I suspect that is what you intended to do earlier, but the link you posted doesn’t have anything to do with DEVONthink.

Eric’s blog, here

The link that was posted in my quote was part of the instructions for changing the location.
Go to the Devonthink ‘Tips and Tutorials’ page; devontechnologies.com/suppor … rials.html

then scroll through the tips until you reach the one about changing the screenshot location.

Regards,
Charles Lane

So the error really appears in two places-on the blog link that korm posted and also on the Tips and Tutorials page.

Thanks Greg, yes it does. I hadn’t seen the one on the blog page until today.

Regards,
Charles Lane