Checksums ... ;-)

I created a new PNG screenshot on my iPhone and it behaves the same:

Adding it from the Files App to DTTG uploads it to WebDAV and from there to all other iDevices.

But on the Mac, only the filename with the cloud symbol appears in DT, showing “File is not yet available” but the Download button does not change nothing.

I am uploading the file here:

But uploading it, may change the file …

And how it looks in DT:

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 20.05.17

uploads it to WebDAV and from there to all other iDevices.

Have you verified the content is available by downloading it on the other devices?

I think, that I wrote that multiple times:

I added it on one iPad, it got uploaded to WebDAV and then appears on all other iDevices (which download it from WebDAV).

I tried the same with a text file and this works fine, but the PNGs don’t!

Is there a sync log in DT which I could check for details of the problem?

On DEVONthink To Go’s databases screen, select ? > Contact Us to start a support ticket. The Console and Sync logs should be in the draft email if you’d like to look at them.

The iDevices don’t have a problem.
DT on Mac has!

I will seek for this in DT

As mentioned many times on the foruyms, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. The logs are similarly shown there.

1 Like

I think, we had this already :wink:

Hidden options are never a good idea!
Better just add a normal entry to the menu, below “Contact us” :wink:

Anyways, I only now remember that this did already not work before:

DT somehow wants to work with the Mail program from Apple. Only.

I don’t use this, as sooo many other people.
I use Thunderbird.
And somehow, no email draft will be created.

Any other way to get to those logs?
I mean, in the filesystem or so …

Lots of SymLinks and one directory:

(base) tja@mini:~/Library$ find */devon -iname ‘sync’ -ls
1412776 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 47 Jan 2 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.get/Data/Library/Application Support/SyncServices → …/…/…/…/…/Application Support/SyncServices
1412771 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 21 Jan 2 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.get/Data/Library/ColorSync → …/…/…/…/ColorSync
1385001 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 47 Jan 1 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.think-helper/Data/Library/Application Support/SyncServices → …/…/…/…/…/Application Support/SyncServices
1384996 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 21 Jan 1 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.think-helper/Data/Library/ColorSync → …/…/…/…/ColorSync
1378397 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 47 Jan 1 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.think3.clipper/Data/Library/Application Support/SyncServices → …/…/…/…/…/Application Support/SyncServices
1378392 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 21 Jan 1 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.think3.clipper/Data/Library/ColorSync → …/…/…/…/ColorSync
1378343 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 47 Jan 1 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.think3.share/Data/Library/Application Support/SyncServices → …/…/…/…/…/Application Support/SyncServices
1378337 0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 21 Jan 1 2021 Containers/com.devon-technologies.think3.share/Data/Library/ColorSync → …/…/…/…/ColorSync
22047652 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 tja staff 96 Jan 29 2022 Mobile Documents/iCloud~679S2QUWR8~com~devon-technologies~sync

But it is empty.

I beg to differ. Hidden options are good for anything that potentially causes problems if they’re not hidden. macOS is full with them – think defaults write or xattr.

Btw: are the files accessible from other apps on the Mac via WebDAV?

2 Likes

I was referring to an application and it’s menu entries :wink:

No, they will not get downloaded and will not appear in the indexed folder.

Clicking in them shows this preview (the Download button does not change the situation):

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 17.05.09

Maybe I misunderstood your question.

What do you mean with “by WebDAV”?

DT / DTTG upload to WebDAV, but this is encrypted - other Apps could only see the encrypted files.

As the other iDevices (iPad and iPhone) do see the files fine in DTTG, it just needs to work correctly.
Also, DT can see the files - I mean, the right number of files and the right filenames are visible!

I really tried, but cannot open a support ticket in DT.
It’s just not possible.

You really should fix the dependency to Apple Mail …

Anyways, if Mail can attach logs, PLEASE where are those logs located in the file system?

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Apple Mail is the best of breed for inter-application communication. Most other email clients, including Thunderbird, do not provide such functionality.

In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3 . When you open a support ticket, please attach the Console.log.

2 Likes

Whatever Apple Mail can do what others cannot do, it should not lead to an Application that is unable to open a support ticket, right?

To be honest, I am not sure if other Apps can open ThunderBird instead, but the canonical way is to open a website where the support email adress is given and the pathes to requried logfiles.

Command-Shift-G … I needed to search that:
Just enter the folder “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3”

I checked this file and did not see nothing about sync problems, but then found the Cloudy.log file in a subdirectory with “find” and found some hints that I am following now.

Will report back

Very interesting.

I get such error messages:

2022-11-21 23:01:54,726 ERROR: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "“IMG_0001.png” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “ARCHIVES”." UserInfo={NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES/IMG_0001.png, NSUserStringVariant=Move, NSFilePath=/Users/tja/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/DEVONcloudy 5301/Main Thread/8/IMG_0001.png, NSUnderlyingError=0x60000c13fae0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "“IMG_0001.png” couldn’t be copied because you don’t have permission to access “ARCHIVES”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Users/tja/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/DEVONcloudy 5301/Main Thread/8/IMG_0001.png, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Copy
), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES/IMG_0001.png, NSFilePath=/Users/tja/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/DEVONcloudy 5301/Main Thread/8/IMG_0001.png, NSUnderlyingError=0x60000c13e880 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}}}

So, DT cannot access /Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES

But I can do so with my terminal shell:

(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES$ ls
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff  192 Jul 30 23:17 archive/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff  416 Jul 30 23:17 DO_NO_DELETE/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff  160 Jul 30 23:17 BACKUPS/
(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES$ touch test
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff  192 Jul 30 23:17 archive/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff  416 Jul 30 23:17 DO_NO_DELETE/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff  160 Jul 30 23:17 BACKUPS/
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff    0 Nov 21 23:06 test
(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES$ rm test

And DT also could do this, before.

So, I checked the “Full Disk Access” security setting and DT is contained there!

Currently, I have no idea what exactly is preventing DT to access this and other folders.
I mean, that worked before!

Next, I created an empty “testfile.txt” from within DT - and this got created correcty!

total 24
drwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 192 Jul 30 23:17 archive/
drwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 416 Jul 30 23:17 DO_NO_DELETE/
drwxr-xr-x 1 tja staff 160 Jul 30 23:17 BACKUPS/
-rw-r–r-- 1 tja staff 0 Nov 21 23:18 testfile.txt

(Create within DT over Right Mouse menu “New / Plain Text”

So it is not DT itself that as missing permissions!

Not sure whether I’ve read it in this forum, but there seems to be a bug in macOS Ventura regarding Full Disk Access. You might want to search for it.

2 Likes

Here’s the post, not sure whether it has something to do with your problem though.

2 Likes

Many thanks, but I am careful with major updates and am still at Monterey 12.6

I am sure that this behavior is relatively new …

Sadly, the Sync.log file has only lines back to 2022-11-16 and there I can already see such “no access” messages, so this is happening since at least 5 days.

Here the first log entry:

DEVONthink 3 3.8.6, DEVONcloudy 1.20.7, macOS Version 12.6 (Build 21G115)

2022-11-16 20:52:53,528 ERROR: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "“IMG_0096.PNG” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “New”." UserInfo={NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/DT_XXX/New/IMG_0096.PNG, NSUserStringVariant=Move, NSFilePath=/Users/tja/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/DEVONcloudy 4388/Main Thread/1/IMG_0096.PNG, NSUnderlyingError=0x600009c226a0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "“IMG_0096.PNG” couldn’t be copied because you don’t have permission to access “New”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Users/tja/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/DEVONcloudy 4388/Main Thread/1/IMG_0096.PNG, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Copy
), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/DT_XXX/New/IMG_0096.PNG, NSFilePath=/Users/tja/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/DEVONcloudy 4388/Main Thread/1/IMG_0096.PNG, NSUnderlyingError=0x600009c20930 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}}}