Checksums ... ;-)

I read the same text from you by email and replied to that email.
But it was just the community mail not from the ticket, sorry …

I will post here:

Hello again,

The files were just screenshots done with an iPhone and then added to DTTG.

The file system on Mac is Cryptomator, which does not offer ACLs or extended attributes.

I index those file systems, as this allows to get content from DT / DTTG into a format where I can work with a terminal shell on them.

They sit on an external disk and will also be uploaded to OneDrive, which explains why I want them to be encrypted at OneDrive too.

Cryptomator offers them as a mounted Volume which can be reach on terminal too.

I never really noticed this problem as it will not appear in the regular log … and I could not find the Cloudy/Sync.log file.

Cocoa’s file manager will also use the binaries of the operating system, but of course they could also have implemented this with library functions.

If they do not handle this situation cleanly but simply return an error for this situation, I am in a very bad situation. :frowning:

I need access to the files as Volume on the command line, so I need to use indexed folders.

I want to have them in OneDrive too, and only encrypted, which explains why I use Cryptopmator.

I would be grateful if you / DEVONtechnology could find a solution for this.

Otherwise, I am simply not sure what to do.

First I would need to check how many files or file types can be affected.

The strange thing is, that I never noticed this before - nearly like DT did behave differently before.

Maybe you can give me a hint about a possible solution or if this cannot be fixed in some way?

Many thanks!

Maybe due to an update of Cryptomater and/or macOS? Unfortunately there’s no workaround currently, we still have to investigate this.

I checked Cryptomator already, they never supported extended attributes.

I also did not update macOS in recent time - but I did reboot recently because of the original problem in this topic, which I don’t usally do.

I will wait … hopeful for a solution from DEVONtechnologies :slight_smile:

Whenever I shall test or do something, please let me know!

To add another point, I also mounted a WebDAV volume directly to check how it behaves in regard to extended attributes:

(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/XTRMQ/MountainDuck/HIDRIVE/users/tja.hidrive$ ls
total 6802
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff     4096 Aug 25 21:03 ._.DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Aug 25 21:07 mini/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Sep  3 02:06 DT/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Sep  3 02:27 CRYPTOMATOR/
-rw-r--r--@ 1 tja  staff     6148 Sep  3 02:27 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff  2319518 Nov  2 15:16 KeePass_Passwords_Sophia.kdbx
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Nov 18 21:53 ARCHIVES_KeePass_Strongbox/
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff  1151753 Nov 24 13:23 KeePass_Passwords_tja.kdbx

(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/XTRMQ/MountainDuck/HIDRIVE/users/tja.hidrive$ cp -p ~/IMG_0552.png .
cp: fchflags: ./IMG_0552.png: Operation not supported

(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/XTRMQ/MountainDuck/HIDRIVE/users/tja.hidrive$ ls
total 7047
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff     4096 Aug 25 21:03 ._.DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Aug 25 21:07 mini/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Sep  3 02:06 DT/
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Sep  3 02:27 CRYPTOMATOR/
-rw-r--r--@ 1 tja  staff     6148 Sep  3 02:27 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff  2319518 Nov  2 15:16 KeePass_Passwords_Sophia.kdbx
-rw-------@ 1 tja  staff   121138 Nov 18 19:12 IMG_0552.png
drwxr-xr-x  1 tja  staff        0 Nov 18 21:53 ARCHIVES_KeePass_Strongbox/
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff  1151753 Nov 24 13:23 KeePass_Passwords_tja.kdbx
-rw-------  1 tja  staff     4096 Nov 25 14:46 ._IMG_0552.png

(base) tja@mini:/Volumes/XTRMQ/MountainDuck/HIDRIVE/users/tja.hidrive$ ls -l@ IMG_0552.png
-rw-------@ 1 tja  staff  121138 Nov 18 19:12 IMG_0552.png
	com.apple.assetsd.UUID	    16
	com.apple.assetsd.assetType	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.avalanche.type	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.creatorBundleID	    21
	com.apple.assetsd.dbRebuildUuid	    36
	com.apple.assetsd.deferredProcessing	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.favorite	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.hidden	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.importedBy	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.importedByDisplayName	    11
	com.apple.assetsd.originalFilename	    12
	com.apple.assetsd.publicGlobalUUID	    36
	com.apple.assetsd.sceneAnalysisIsFromPreivew	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.syndicationHistory	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.timeZoneName	    13
	com.apple.assetsd.timeZoneOffset	     4
	com.apple.assetsd.trashed	     2
	com.apple.assetsd.videoComplementVisibility	     2
	com.apple.lastuseddate#PS	    16

So, the file can be copied and also extended attributes get copied, but still the “cp” gives some error message about “fchflags” … so this could probably be a problem for DT too.

Also, a second file will be created: . _IMG_0552.png
But this is most probably something from Apple

Did you already try to reset the access control lists on your system?

I am not sure what you are asking for here :slight_smile:
How to do this?

Anyways, just to show this again:

I freshly created a screenshot on an iPad, uploaded it to iCloud so that it is available on the Mac too:

Then I watched it in the iCloud folder and moved it to the indexed DT folder:

(base) tja@mini:~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs$ ls -l@ IMG_8920.PNG
-rw-r--r--@ 1 tja  staff  783768 Nov 28 12:58 IMG_8920.PNG
	com.apple.FinderInfo	    32
	com.apple.lastuseddate#PS	    16
	com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags	    42
	com.apple.quarantine	    15

(base) tja@mini:~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs$ mv IMG_8920.PNG /Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES/
mv: /Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES/IMG_8920.PNG: unable to move extended attributes and ACL from IMG_8920.PNG: Operation not permitted

(base) tja@mini:~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs$ ls -l@ /Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES/IMG_8920.PNG
-rw-r--r--  1 tja  staff  783768 Nov 28 12:58 /Volumes/DT_MAIN/ARCHIVES/IMG_8920.PNG

So, it arrives with extended attributes but the target file system does not support this.
Therefor the “mv” command issues a warning, but the file will be moved correctly - but of course it looses the extended attributes.

I am not sure what could be “resetted” to change this :wink:
Apple just seems to create extended attributes for screenshots… and probably other files too.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Are you running FUSE for macOS?

As written several times, this does not work!
DT want’s to use Apple Mail, which i don’t use - and it does not open a mail window.

I can send an email of course, but you will want files to be attached - which files?

Many thanks!

Yes, also Cryptomator uses this:

macFUSE 4.4.1

This is the newest non-beta Version.

But it’s not required, hence the question. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I do not remember every detail of this long thread.

Just send the file ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Cloudy/Sync.log.

1 Like

I did send 2 emails :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I"m going to jump in here with another question about Checksums as it seems an appropriate place…

I have an indexed folder that contains many large video files (among other items). DevonThink Pro has decided it needs to verify the checksums and it is taking hours and hours to do so. (Literally, all day.) Is there a way to cancel the checksumming operation? And, is there a way to prevent it from trying to checksum these large files in the future? I’m not worried about their integrity as I have backups running that do that at the file level for me (and in a much quicker fashion).

Is it verifying the checksums or updating/calculating them? Because the verification isn’t automatically done but quitting the app and restarting it should stop this.

Thanks for the reply. I did eventually quit DT, after giving it a whole day to finish calculating the checksums. (“Calculating Checksums” is what the Activity window says.)

However, the next day when I opened the database, it once again started checksumming files. Is there really no way to stop it? There doesn’t seem to be a cancel command anywhere.

Follow the bug reporting process to start a support ticket. Thanks.