"Cleaning up" a database -- how?

See my response above; items != files; large files may be split into numerous chunks. How big is the database?

thank you. yes, I did see your mail… my INBOX – that’s what we are talking here about – ~/Lib./AppSup…/DT3…/ INBOX.dtBase2 is 1.39 GB small… any other location I can look it up?
all of the the App.Supp./DT3 is 2.8GB big (that includes the ABBYY directory).
btw, now the count on the items is at 56k+ files and rising…

The item count of the sync is just a progress indication, it’s not comparable to item/file counts of databases.

there still must be something wrong with it… it cannot be that 2.8GB sync for several hours while 10GB take less than an hour… same with the item / chunk count… it’s the INBOX / Eingänge … it’s unbearable slow, the item count is way too high, it takes way too long for one of my smallest databases… it keeps hanging up while syncing as well…
sorry, that’s my five cent worth… there is not much I can do b/c it’s the INBOX
than again, looking at the dropbox file sizes – I did create a new “store” on dropbox – the INBOX there appears to be relatively small …

regarding speed: bonjour is clearly the fastest, but unreliable in so far that a computer is many times “unavailable” for syncing while the database is doing nothing (not even syncing with another device)

Did you actually clean the sync location? In that case the performance should be identical to a new sync store.

I did both… first I cleaned it all, after that I removed dropbox as a sync location, then added it again with a new sync store. in the old store (using www.dropbox.com online) it still shows some 250GB rest size (it once was over 850GB), the new sync store shows currently 150GB+ in size (not all has been uploaded/synced so far)

Is the folder ~/Dropbox/Apps/DEVONthink Packet Sync excluded in the Dropbox.app?

yes… more precise: the entire Apps folder does not have a checkmark next to it.

vielleicht hilft das ja…: vor ein paar Jahren (!) hatte ich (versehentlich) “Orphans” in die Inbox gelegt, das waren damals 45k Orphans oder ähnlich… seitdem “klemmt” meine Inbox. Diese Orphans sind schon längst nicht mehr dort, sondern haben mittlerweile eine eigene Datenbank (mit 50GB Grösse) bekommen, sodass ich – falls ich mal eine File suchen sollte – diesen dort dann hoffentlich finde.

Inwiefern “klemmt”?

habe grad den Text oben “editiert”… klemmt heisst hier: das syncen dauert unendlich lange, es sind tausende von items welche gesynced werden, aber eigentlich ist die INBOX (heutzutage, seit sehr langem) mehr oder minder leer.

perhaps Dropbox or your ISP is throttling band width?

Ein Bildschirmfoto von Ablage > Datenbank-Eigenschaften des Eingangs wäre nützlich.

nope… I got 3 TB on dropbox with no limitations… and my ISP I got 1gb per sec down AND upload… it’s fiber

see… there is nothing!!!

Did you enable incoming Bonjour connections on the iPhone? Or both on the Mac & the iPhone? That’s actually not recommended, one Mac should be the server and the other devices connect to this server via Bonjour. In addition, the inbox on your iPhone seems to contain a lot of data.

as written above: I deleted yesterday all of my mobile devices (one iPhone, two iPads) … now I restore them.
also, I created a new container on my dropbox that still needs to get filled with all the databases… once a database is upload from that one “master Compter” to the dropbox, I allow my mobile devices to get the database from the master using bonjour… later they will alll sync using the dropbox, but first they must get the data.
so, the iPhone as seen here above actually contained zero data at the start. it’s that master computer with its INBOX to send all that sh*t over…

and no, the iPhone has not an enabled bonjour. only that “master” laptop.