Clip to DEVONthink - images and local scope

I would like to see the Clip to DEVONthink features extended to include: clip images (e.g., showing an image in its own tab; we should be able then to clip that image to DT as displayed – .jpg, .png, etc.), and clip from sources on the local machine or network (e.g., URLs of type file:///***.html, and so forth).

At the moment there is no way to provide these features properly with a Safari extension:

• extensions aren’t loaded for file URLs (a source of great frustration for me with some of the other extensions I use as well)
  • there is no HTML context for JPGs, PNGs, PDFs, etc, meaning that there’s no way for us to provide the overlay

For these and other reasons, I’m working on a significant update to Clip to DEVONthink which will not function as a Safari or Firefox extension, allowing us to work in these sorts of situations. I can’t give you an ETA, but it’s in the pipeline :slight_smile:

Thank you! I’ll remember to ask again after an appropriate delay. :wink:

Rob - I don’t know whether this will be covered in your reworking of the Clip extension, but another Apple-developed PITA is the “Reader” mode, which doesn’t supply anything clippable.

I could use Save as PDF to DT, but that doesn’t supply a URL, as has already been mentioned.

There are a few kludges which kind of work; in the absence of a working solution to clipping from Reader, though, could I suggest that the dialog for Save as PDF to DT adds a field for URL?

I’ll have to investigate Reader more; thanks for the hint :slight_smile:

You can use Print>Save PDF to DEVONthink Pro from a Safari Reader page and that will capture the URL.

I often use Safari’s Reader to extract the text of an article, especially if it has multiple pages (Reader will sequentially download a multipage article).

When the Reader panel is completely downloaded, click in it and press ‘Command-A’ to select all, then ‘Command-)’ to capture it as a rich text note. The URL will also be captured. The RTF document will be significantly smaller than a similar capture as PDF.

yup, love this

Also, the Capture Web Archive service (with the default Command-% shortcut), is handy from Safari’s Reader mode if you want to retain page layout and don’t mind slightly larger Web Archive documents… with a drawback of using the generic “safari-resource:/Reader.html” for the URL field instead of a page’s non-Reader mode URL.

Any suggestions how to save unpaginated PDFs of Safari Reader views so page breaks won’t split images? Here’s an example of that splitting with a PDF of ignore the code: Skype 5 for Mac viewed in a DtPO window:

Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 08.23.47.png
Disabling View > PDF DIsplay > Page Breaks only changes the break to a more subtle horizontal line.

Also, DtPO doesn’t do well with a saved Web Archive of the Reader view of that article - images aren’t displayed in the QuickLook version and nothing’s displayed when opening it in a separate window.

Looks best to me in DtPO after reducing the font size in the Reader view and saving an RTFD document.

Followup to:

I recently discovered Export To PDF… in the context menu of Safari pages, added by SafariStand, for saving contiguous/unpaged PDF files. Unfortunately it’s disabled in Reader view but otherwise works well enough for me.

I like to use the Print to DT script from Safari (so I can get the group selector HUD to set the destination group in DT), and I set up some custom paper sizes with varying lengths so that the print appears on one “page”. Custom paper sizes can have all manner of strange dimensions (e.g., 8.5" x 12’).

I like using that script, even without the HUD.

I’d considered trying that and never did. Do you have a consistent method for determining the length to get the desired result?

Informed trial-and-error. I look at the preview, and if the page is too long or short I’ve learned by trial how to guess the amount to increment or decrement the “paper” length based on a rough guess of the percentage over or under. And if the page is too long it doesn’t matter since it is just white space and will never be printed.

A preview that would generate paginated output?

I wondered if knowing the number of pages could be used to consistently calculate a custom page size length for unpaginated output (of that document) with no further testing/adjustment. And from that could more unpaginated lengths be extrapolated for documents with different numbers of pages.

The little preview in Safari’s “Print…” dialog. Page size is set on the same panel.

D’oh! Of course. :blush:

Multiplying the page count by 9 seems a reasonable starting point for the custom Height.