Clip to DEVONthink -> unreadable in Markdown Editor view

Using Safari 14.1.2 on MacOS 11.5.2 “Clip to DEVONthink” and saving a Web page as a Markup document, the DEVONthink Markdown Editor view shows white text on a white background - in other words, most of the unformatted text is invisible, whereas the text in the preview window (as in the original clipped web page) is black on a white background.

I created a style sheet:

body {
background-color: white !important;
color: black !important;
}

and pointed to this sheet in DEVONthink “Preferences>Markdown>Style Sheet”.

But the Markdown editor still shows white on white.

How can I fix this so the Markdown Editor makes the text visible?

EDIT: I do realize that the CSS style sheet is supposed to alter the appearance of the Markdown doc in Preview mode - and it does. And I will add that the controls in the second line of the main toolbar for changing the text color and the text background color don’t seem to do anything at all to the text in the Markdown Preview window nor the Editor window.

Welcome @markj

Did you edit the font colors in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Editing > Plain Text Font ?

I don’t think I changed those settings - but currently set to Menlo Regular 11, White background color, black Text color.

Does this persist after quitting and relaunching DEVONthink?

Yep. Made some changes to the style sheet to confirm that it altered the appearance of the Markdown doc in the Preview window - it does. But the white-on-white in the Editor window persists. I can only see the text in the Editor window if I swipe over it with the mouse to select it.

Do you have Preferences > General > Appearance > Use dark background for documents enabled or disabled? Whatever you have set, toggle it and see if it has a good effect.

PS: Deselecting and reselecting the document may be required.

Yes, it WAS enabled. I deselected it and immediately the text appears as black text on a white background in the Markdown Editor window. Yayyy!

So, that seems to have fixed the issue. But I don’t understand why. I would have never guessed that setting to be the cause of the problem.

Thank you very much for the support!

Wooooot!!!
:stuck_out_tongue:
I’m not sure why the text was adversely affected since you say the text and background color are the default black and white.

This is what I’m seeing in an internal build but there were no changes to that control.

Use dark background for documents enabled

Use dark background for documents disabled

And you’re very welcome.